Sign in to follow this  

Ktm oil

Not sure if it was that exact oil but I have used a castrol syn and it was crap. Mad the gear shifts really clunky. Use rotella.

Saturson...

I see this is your first post....welcome to the forum.

if you're wondering why you are getting such sparse and/or sarcastic responses...its likely because on this site, threads related to  "what kind or oil should I use" or "what brand of oil is best" etc etc typically end up as somewhat disjointed free-for-alls that are frequently highly opinionated and filled with endless one on one opinions/discussions/arguments that often  go nowhere and will frequently loose track of your original question.  Information will range from incredibly detailed  chemical analysis of constituent additives and post usage contaminants  to anecdotal brand approval or disapproval.based on just the fact that a particular poster has or has not, incurred any oil related problems in the past.

All have there validity, but it seems like you end up with an "I can't see the forest for the trees" type of discussion.

For what its worth...my disjointed and highly opinionated suggestion would be to do a search and read some of the previous threads (good luck) and glean what information you can from them......or just buy a good quality and technically correct (designed for your type of engine) oil and do proper oil and filter changes based on your riding style and conditions.. Unless you're a super "A" class rider who beats the bejeesus out of your machine, or unless you routinely ride under extreme circumstances..all will be well.

See...you just got another "non-answer" to your original question!

Edited by travertt
  • Like 3

Rotella, nectar of the gods, sent to earth for KTM riders to lubricate their blessed steeds with:-)M

My local shop has only seen 3 KTM's with motor detonations.  All 3 bikes were running Rotella.   Many here seem to run it,  I myself will only run Amsoil.  

But to answer the question, All oils will work.  Choose a brand that you have confidence in and be done with it. 

Edited by FLYKTM
  • Like 2

My local shop has only seen 3 KTM's with motor detonations. All 3 bikes were running Rotella. Many here seem to run it, I myself will only run Amsoil.

But to answer the question, All oils will work. Choose a brand that you have confidence in and be done with it.

I will only run Amsoil as well. With oil you get what you pay for. I can't tell how I know that though.

I use the Castrol 10-50 synthetic motorcycle oil on amazon, and it works great. No complaints at all. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MISF54/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use the Castrol 10-50 synthetic motorcycle oil on amazon, and it works great. No complaints at all. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MISF54/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the oil I'm talking about. It's jaso rated for the clutch and what the manual says to use but they recommend motortex but it's $20 a quart vrs $12 for castrol.i change my oil every 5 hrs

KTM is partnered with Motorex, so they recommend that brand for everything. There are plenty of other quality oils to choose from that will do the job just as well. Honda recommends their brand (Hondaline maybe?), Yamaha recommend Yamalube, etc.. It's all business.

I recently went to my local bike dealer to get oil, they were out of my usual mobil 1 synthetic, the guy recommend honda hp4s because hondas have fine tolarences and are hard on oil.

Turns out my 530 don't like it, drank like 100ml a ride , the cam chain slapped and got noisy tappets, that was a 10w 30 .

It is now gear oil only, and are useing 10w 50 again and sound good and no oil consumption.

That's the oil I'm talking about. It's jaso rated for the clutch and what the manual says to use but they recommend motortex but it's $20 a quart vrs $12 for castrol.i change my oil every 5 hrs

Unless your riding in hot, dusty conditions or racing the bike for 5 hours straight I think every 5 hours is over kill.   I think if you got an oil analysis after 5 hours you would be surprised by the condition of the oil your dumping out. 

I recently went to my local bike dealer to get oil, they were out of my usual mobil 1 synthetic, the guy recommend honda hp4s because hondas have fine tolarences and are hard on oil.

Turns out my 530 don't like it, drank like 100ml a ride , the cam chain slapped and got noisy tappets, that was a 10w 30 .

It is now gear oil only, and are useing 10w 50 again and sound good and no oil consumption.

If you were using 10-30 then the issues were because the oil was too thin, not that it's bad oil.  Usually all of the branded oils for the bike manufacturers are pretty good oils. 

If you were using 10-30 then the issues were because the oil was too thin, not that it's bad oil. Usually all of the branded oils for the bike manufacturers are pretty good oils.

its probably a great oil.

Just a nother life experience in listing to people who think they know best :huh:.

I use motorex because its what the bike came with, its whats recommended by the manufacturer, and the manufacturer is paying for the engine repairs on warranty if ever needed. If I ever do have an engine failure, I know im never going to blame it on my poor choice in oil that one time because I felt "cheap" that day. I know the other oils mentioned above arw good known oils, but its just my ways of thinking, oil even at $26/L here for motorex, is still cheaper than parts. If it held 10L, this would be a much different opinion on oils.

• Like 1

motorex is just another brand...before them was Shell. An engine failure won't be because of the oil. Like always, if it makes someone sleep better at night, use the most expensive stuff you can find.

I ran Motorex in my 2015 EXC500 with Rekluse clutch, based on strict instructions from dealer to always run Motorex.  Then, while on a long trip in Idaho, I needed an oil change and bought Maxima ProPlus+ 10w50 full synthentic because that's what they guy at the shop had.  He swore by it.  I immediately noticed that shifting was considerably smoother.  After I returned home, I researched and read through forums and could find nothing about running Maxima oils in the EXC500, so I returned to Motorex as prescribed by the dealer.  After a couple months back on Motorex, I used the Maxima website 'contact us' to ask about it, and a guy emailed me back the next day with lots of good info.  I was encouraged by that level of customer service, so I ordered some.  On the first ride with the Maxima, my first assessment was completely confirmed.  Shifting was so much smoother.  I've no association with Maxima or anybody else, and I almost never post in the forums, but I wanted to share my experience and see what others might have to say about it.  

http://www.maximausa...oduct/pro-plus/

It costs less than Motorex, even with the shipping costs.  Not as cheap as Rotella, but I'm glad to save a few bucks.

• Like 1