Sign in to follow this  

Can someone identify the engine in this Honda XR

Looking at buying a Honda Xr 200 but it has a different engine installed but the owner doesnt know what it is - can anyone on here shed any light on it?

He doesnt know make or cc only that as per the rocker cover stamping it is dohc 4 valve.

Many thanks in advance

$_57.jpg

Buy it cheap.

It might have some real history. I'm sure there are some Honda Only vintage enthusiasts sites that have ultra nerd Honda guys that know every unique bike made. I'm no Honda expert.

The engine and tank makes me think it is not your typical frankenbike.

The brakes make me think it has to be a 80's or earlier machine.

That thing looks vaguely familiar.  I'm thinking its of Chinese origin.

The frame looks 84+, a check of the VIN on the right side of the head tube will ID the model and year.  Digit 4-7 is Honda model code, digit 10 is year code, unless it is a 3rd world chassis.

If it is a Honda motor there should be a serial number on the lower left side of the crankcase, the first four digits are the model code.

Post up what you find and we can decipher.

DOHC, Air Cooled, street motor, with no branding, in a budget XR with drum brakes? And nobody here knows what it is? Must be a chinese motor.

Edited by mudguy

The more I look at your cool ride, the more that engine looks familar, i think the cranky case and jug are of xr-or xl origin, The only thing that cornfueses me is the cylinder head valve covor deal, looks like a gpz, or kz, streetbike head....

That engine is very close in appearance to something like a Suzuki DR200.  Might be, like mentioned above, overseas Suzuki in origin or a Chinese knockoff.  My bet is on the Chinese knockoff.  Here's a DR200 engine:

DR200SL5_Engine.jpg

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

Even Chinese engines have ID numbers on the hem somewhere. Keep looking. The top end looks very suzuki-esque, but I don't know of a DOHC 'zuk single that looks like that. A pic from the other side might help.

Think outside the box. I am pretty sure that is some sort of small bore street bike engine from the early 80's. And whoever put that engine in there did a great job because it looks like it is supposed to be there. The mounts look OEM.

• Like 1

Think outside the box. I am pretty sure that is some sort of small bore street bike engine from the early 80's. And whoever put that engine in there did a great job because it looks like it is supposed to be there. The mounts look OEM.

Problem for me is that back during that time I was working on bikes for a living, and I worked on just about everything out there at that time.  It looks vaguely familiar, but I really don't recognize it as something I would have worked on.