Sign in to follow this  

Oil pressure bolt after oil change?

This is new to me my Suzuki's never had this. Is this a Yamaha thing? I did follow the service manual instructions after oil change and no issues I had oil pressure at the check bolt. Do Yamaha's generally lose pressure after a oil change? I know my Super Tenere oil light will come on if you don't get the level correct after a oil change. It's not a pressure light on the Super Tenere but a oil level light so I'm told.

Anyway just curious if everyone does this check after a oil change on the 250s. FWIW I changed my oil and filter first time after 25 miles most of which were all off road. Oil looked terrible, screen had a few pieces of assembly squiggle metal in it but nothing terrible. I put Yamalube 10w50 semi synthetic back in and it really shifts way better now. So good I can actually find neutral fairly easy now.

I personally do the check on every oil change. Too easy not to do it. Just a quick and easy way of letting you know that oil is getting to your top end.

I do the check on every change. It's quick and easy enough to do when you start it up to confirm the level after anyway.

A few guys on here would have saved their engines if they'd done it. Not a fault of the engine, but a few have put the filter in backwards and starved the engine.

Wow not sure how you'd put the oil filter in backwards but I guess anything is possible.

Yeah I wanted to ask them the same question, but they're probably not wanting to talk about it much, after the consequences.. I don't even see how someone could physically do it without some serious force.

Wow not sure how you'd put the oil filter in backwards but I guess anything is possible.

If you have an aftermarket filter cover it doesn't have the tab on it so it's very simple to put it in backward. Just as easy as it is to put it in correctly.

If you have an aftermarket filter cover it doesn't have the tab on it so it's very simple to put it in backward. Just as easy as it is to put it in correctly.

But the filter cover isn't where it doesn't fit. It's the port on the engine side that sticks out too far if you put the blanked end of the filter in first. The blank bottoms out on the port in the filter galley before the filter is deep enough.

My bike came with a filtron cover and with either a paper or a stainless filter it fits no problem either way. The stock cover has a tab on it that goes in to the hole in the filter so it's impossible to fit backward. This is on an 07. I can't speak on other years but from my understanding the 5 valve engines are all pretty similar.

Yeah I wanted to ask them the same question, but they're probably not wanting to talk about it much, after the consequences.. I don't even see how someone could physically do it without some serious force.

I'm one of those people, it happens. Luckily for me the consequences weren't terrible other then feeling stupid. Engine just seized at the exhaust cam journal, everything else was fine. But I went ahead and had alot of other work done when it happened anyways.

I had the stock oil filter cover and a tusk oil filter and I didn't think it was possible either. I made a thread on here trying to figure out what went wrong, cause I didn't even take that into consideration the oil fitler backwards as a possibility lol. Its not like I'm not at least somewhat mechanically inclined either, it was probably just the nature of doing a mindless task. Many times when I am doing bike maintenance I am multi-tasking watching my 2 year old. Making sure she doesn't throw tools in the oil pan or jab her eye with a screwdriver comes first, and usually takes a lot of my attention

I had a tusk oil filter

Maybe that's a big factor. The blanked end could be a little deeper than OEM, allowing it to sit in further.

With the OEM filter I honestly don't see how it could be done. I don't remember if it was as difficult on my 5 valve, but on my FX it's like putting a square peg in a round hole.

• Like 1