Sign in to follow this  

Fmf slip-on vs stock on 1996 Kx125

Hey guys, does a fmf slip-on make a significant difference in power compared to the stock silencer?

I've never owned a 96, but on my 03 switching to an FMF shorty was a noticeable difference. Much snappier, better low end power, but it was embarrassingly loud for the woods. Turbinecore was similar to stock power. Personally, I think the best option to get more power is to correct squish (very cheap mod) and get a ported cylinder.

Found in the previous thread:

You'll get more power from the stocker. I had a powercore 2 silencer on my old 99 KX125, rode it like that forever. Was experimenting one day and put the stocker back on and.... 🤦 should've been riding that the whole time. Waaayyy better

Squish is basically the space between the edge of the piston and the head. When it is correct your motor will pull harder and be less jetting sensitive. Hit up Google to see how to measure and correct it, others will explain it better than I can. Not the correct way, but thinner gaskets might take you in the right direction if you can't find a machine shop; make sure you measure first. Squish correction and proper jetting will make a bigger improvement than a silencer swap in most cases with less money. And there are no downsides at all. I also recommend suspension work and bars before a silencer or pipe, but now I'm getting way off topic.

Already have renthal bars and suspension just been serviced and adjusted. Got a buddy with a machine shop so ima take ur there today to see if I can get it ported. Thanx il check Google to try get right squish band width

ya, pretty much the shorty is the only one that actually changes power but it is very loud too. You will lose top end power with the shorty.