Sign in to follow this  

Aluminum chips in oil filter

I had the motor all apart to put in the new piston and a used crank. Now I'm finding tiny maybe a 16th and smaller aluminum chips in the filter. Bike runs well no rattling like when I bought it. I pulled the valve cover and clutch cover checking the timing chain and can't see any wear marks. Any where else I should look? 

What year and model bike are you working on?

What was the reason for splitting open the cases?

Why did you opt for a used crank?  Did you have it rebuilt before putting it in? 

Did you replace all of the bearings in the bottom end? 

How clean was the workshop that you used when reassembling the engine?

Remember that the transmission and clutch share oil with the engine, so there are a few possible sources.  If rotating components like the clutch, alternator, and gears rub against the inside of the cases, you get aluminum shavings.  You might use a mechanic's stethoscope to listen foe grinding noises.  Otherwise, a full tear-down and inspection may be the only way to pinpoint the source.

Edited by BluePill

+1 on what BluePill said.

My experience says that if there really are the metal bits that you say you see, you would be way ahead to split the cases now and do a thorough examination of your internals.

It is very possible that the bearings on your "new" crank had crap in them and that has worked its way out.  It is also very possible that when you reassembled everything, something was nicked or chipped and is putting chunky pieces in the oil.

If you do opt to split the cases again, do yourself a favor and replace every single bearing in the engine and transmission.  Small bits of metal can hide inside caged bearings and either work their way out or chew up the bearings.  Either way, you really cannot get them clean enough to reuse.

That is what i was thinking, 🤦  just didn't want to tear it down again, I'll start first with pulling the clutch apart,see if I missed something. For all it's short comings the I like this XT I don'r ride fast just putter around the woods and for that it works pretty good. Except when it doesn't want to start but that is a good workout so there are some health benefits to.

I got around to pulling the cultch this weekend, no signs of metal rubbing anywhere. Looks like I will be splitting the cases.  The irony is the guy I bought it from dump a lot of money into and I didn't want another project so this seemed a good bike seemed good. That's the way it is with old bikes sometimes.

• Like 1