Sign in to follow this  

1995 XR600 Rear Axle Help!

I might be in over my head here.

Long story short. I'm rebuilding an XL600R w/ parts from a donor 1986 XR600. Intending to do a rear disc conversion.

When I bought the donor XR, I figured it came stock with a rear disc brake. After some quick research, the bike didn't come with a rear disc. It came with a drum.

After tearing the rear wheel off, I discovered what the PO did. He used the stock 1986 swinger. He tried to use a brake caliper bracket from an unknown bike. The stock axle is 17mm. The caliper bracket is 20mm. That won't work!

So, I hoped on ebay and purchased a '95 XR600 swingarm and caliper bracket. 

Both arrived as described and I confirmed they are from a '95. So far so good.

I put little thought into what the wheel was off of. (I'm foreshadowing here for you literary types...)

When I went to assemble everything, I realized that I did not have an XR600 rear wheel like expected.

I did some research from the casting numbers on the hub. It's off of a 1989 CR. I assume it's a 125 because of the 17mm axle.

Any who. It looks like everything will line up and fit. Except when i slide the caliper bracket onto the axle it won't fit. There's not enough room.

Unfortunately the original parts diagrams are sketchy. 

So, my questions. On the brake side. what does the spacer look like? This hub has spacers on each side, sprocket and disc. I have another spacer that rides on the axle.

Is the caliper bracket supposed to ride on this bushing/spacer? It must be an incorrect size. Or can it just ride on the axle? I think the spinning steel wouldn't mate well with the aluminium.

Any pics of how it's assembled from the factory would be appreciated. I may have to just fab a new steel bushing. Or, I may have to go on a search for an actual XR rear wheel. Luckily Suter's is in my backyard. 

Or can it just ride on the axle? I think the spinning steel wouldn't mate well with the aluminium.

]

What steel is spinning??? Niether the axle or caliper bracket spin. Both remain static while the wheel and bearings rotate. The caliper bracket usually just rides on the axle next to the spacer.

Maybe a pic of your issue might help.

You're correct, @Backwoods.

I decided to move on from the CR wheel.

I picked up an XR250 hub. The part# for the hub is slightly different, but the axle, spacers, bearings, caliper bracket, and sprocket are all the same. From what I've researched the sprocket offset is slightly different. Anywhere  from from 3-5mm. I assume that the XR250 would be narrower, since the rear rim is narrower. So, slightly shimming the rear sprocket shouldn't be a huge issue.

• Like 1

Can someone supply me with the measurement between the hub and disc? (outside surface of hub to outside surface of hub) on their XR600? Measured in millimeters would be best. I appreciate it!