Sign in to follow this  

Air filter oil

Quick question here...

I was just browsing through my service manual, and I noticed that the recommended oil for the air filter is SAE20W40, which is motor oil.

Everywhere else I've ever read about what cleaning air filters for dirt bikes, everyone always says "Don't use motor oil; use air filter oil".

I'm just wondering why there is this contradiction?

Filter oil is very sticky which 'should' make the dirt stick to it a bit better. But it's just a specialized oil (marketing baby)

Since the TTR230 has been in production for a while and without any major changes,

I would guess the owner/service manual has simply being copied over year after year without any updates as well. 

Perhaps when the manual was initialy written, Yamaha did not have their own Yamalube Foam Air Filter Oil like today

so they simply recommended another one of their products that would do the job (engine oil).

Edited by mlatour

Tacky filter oil for me.

Motor oil will drip out,and won't stop dirt like the real thing.

It is a big deal. Dust in motor = new motor...

• Like 1

Since the TTR230 has been in production for a while and without any major changes,

I would guess the owner/service manual has simply being copied over year after year without any updates as well.

Perhaps when the manual was initialy written, Yamaha did not have their own Yamalube Foam Air Filter Oil like today

so they simply recommended another one of their products that would do the job (engine oil).

This makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!

Now I just wish I'd get my bike back one of these days so I had an air filter to oil 😉.

Personally I wouldn't try it because you risk the entire engine. Get a quality air filter oil (they are VERY tacky as stated before and are a mess so wear gloves, but that's how they are designed). The oil doesn't cost that much anyways since the ttr air filter is so small and doesn't need to be cleaned that often because it's almost completely enclosed.

Edited by Brandon7711

I was just asking why the service manual was suggesting motor oil, and therefore using "air filter oil" would be going against what the manual says to do. MLA explained why that was the case though...

After the last disaster that happened, I'm just being VERY careful before doing anything!