Sign in to follow this  

Yz 250 vs 125

I've been going back and forth with what I want I've owned yz 125 and a rm 250 a couple years ago and really liked the 125 the 250 was heavy but I'm worried I'm gonna get the 125 and regret it also thought about the ktm 200 but Im planning on racing motocross this summer

Any idea's

KTM 200 suspension isn't well suited for motocross.

Depends on your level of racing, if it's competitive than a four-stroke 250F is likey a much better choice.

If it's more recreational / amateur racing, then a late model YZ125 is a fun / easy to maintain MX'er

with a great overall package: engine, handling, suspension, and plenty of aftermarkets parts available for it.

Edited by mlatour

I have two yz 125s (03 and 06), and a ktm 250 sx.  All are great bikes, but the 125s are more fun, and I even race them now in hare scrambles.  I actually prefer the 03 (all bikes have had suspension revalves).

Unless you are required to (by class rules or something), the last bike I would ever buy would be a 250f.  More maintenance and expense than any other bike you can buy.

If you are buying new, I would look at the new KTM 125/150.  The new engine is a "cylinder swapper" like the 250/300, so you can race 125s, and use the bigger jug for play.  I'm trying to decide now if I want to sell a couple of my bikes and go that route.

Edited by rpt50