Plastic oil pump gears?

Just read a thread about a beta eating its plastic gears. Wr have these?

What 100hr maintenance thing do folks do? Other than spec and shim valves?

I know. Just don't want to go to the garage and get owners manual right now.

Any plastic gears in this bike? 2014 450

Of course

Oil. Oil filter. Air filter. Bearings. Very meticulous about those things. Even checked my a couple of times.

Thanks krannie

First I ever heard of oil pump gears. Scarry shit

They are plastic to create a 'wear path' that is easy to replace.

You are supposed to replace them every 75 hours or so, not wait till they get demolished.

Otherwise, you transfer the wear to more difficult to repair items, the way the BETA motor is designed.

Same with carb needle jets, slide seals, sprockets, chains, tires, plugs, etc.

Better that than what you have to do with a KTM motor: dismantle the motor to replace seals, valve guides, starter motors, starter clutch,   shift drums, etc etc.

Hell, you have to replace the sprocket bolts and shock heim joint multiple times a year if you ride it hard...

On the Honda CRFX line you have to replace the starter clutch, valves and/or valve seats pretty much every 150 hours.

I'm not so sure on plastic oil pump gears being a good idea. One of our riders that had a Husaberg with the horizontal type motor had the plastic gears and they went bad with little miles.

Luckily he bought an extended warranty. They argued the heck out of it as in maintance records etc. He finally got it covered and they ended up using some race companies aluminuim gears on the rebuild. It took out most of the engine.

Those plastic oil pump gears, I believe, are what caused the constant oil flow problems and the rapid, continual and stressful draining of my bank account when I was riding that effin KTM 450.   

The yamaha oil pump , at least on the wr I had, had no plastic.   

Edited by mauricedorris

They are plastic to create a 'wear path' that is easy to replace.

You are supposed to replace them every 75 hours or so, not wait till they get demolished.

Otherwise, you transfer the wear to more difficult to repair items, the way the BETA motor is designed.

Same with carb needle jets, slide seals, sprockets, chains, tires, plugs, etc.

Better that than what you have to do with a KTM motor: dismantle the motor to replace seals, valve guides, starter motors, starter clutch, shift drums, etc etc.

Hell, you have to replace the sprocket bolts and shock heim joint multiple times a year if you ride it hard...

On the Honda CRFX line you have to replace the starter clutch, valves and/or valve seats pretty much every 150 hours.