Sign in to follow this  

What 2010-2013 250f to get?

After 2 years off the bikes I'm back at it and considering a 250f. This will be my first 4 stroke and I'm not sure what's what. I've got an 04'CR250 and like it a lot, but thinking about trying the 4 stroke.

Any suggestions wouod be good please.

Thanks.

Reliability wise, can't beat a Yamaha...

My mate suggested a YZF. He's just bought a 13' 250 so I'll get a ride on that too.

Is there much trouble with 4 strokes generally?

Thanks.

Thanks fellas. Yamahas seem to be the same over here. Not a lot come up. Few CRF's reasonably priced though. My CR is built very well though, I like Honda's quality. I was reading there are a few things you can do to pep them up too.

After 2 years off the bikes I'm back at it and considering a 250f. This will be my first 4 stroke and I'm not sure what's what. I've got an 04'CR250 and like it a lot, but thinking about trying the 4 stroke.

Any suggestions wouod be good please.

Thanks.

How good are you on the tools?

How good are you on the tools?

I'm not to bad. Managed to replace the crank in the CR between the workshop manual and youtube, haha. I've looked up checking valve clearances and re-shimming them and it looks like it'd take a while the first time, but you'd get better the more you do it.

ScrewMX, I'm leaning towards any YZF or an RMZ 13' atm. Is there any YZF's that are not worth it? Or is it best condition, newset bike for the best price sort of thing? Still considering a KXF too. I do love my Honda, but not sure about a CRF as yet.

Thanks fellas.

Edited by RGVMelb

I'm not to bad. Managed to replace the crank in the CR between the workshop manual and youtube, haha. I've looked up checking valve clearances and re-shimming them and it looks like it'd take a while the first time, but you'd get better the more you do it.

ScrewMX, I'm leaning towards any YZF or an RMZ 13' atm. Is there any YZF's that are not worth it? Or is it best condition, newset bike for the best price sort of thing? Still considering a KXF too. I do love my Honda, but not sure about a CRF as yet.

Thanks fellas.

If you're competent at using a spanner and like the feel of the 04 definitely get an 08ish CRF.

Thanks fellas.

I've never heard one bad thing about a YZF. I've heard about the newer crfs being valve eaters for a certain time but they improved it. KX-Fs are very nice and reliable and I have heard they are the "skinniest" 450f. RM-Zs I have never heard a complaint which I guess is a good thing. Good luck to you buddy!

2014 YZ250F. You should be able to find one for not much more than a 2013.

Thanks fellas. I ended up finding a mint 12' YZ250F the other day. Picking it up in a few days after the new year. It's still on original tyres, last week the bloke took it to Yamaha to get a once over, service etc so it should be a good bike. It is that close to brand new it's nearly to good to ride, haha. 14'+ are another 2k on top of what I paid so I thought I'd stick with this.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas. I ended up finding a mint 12' YZ250F the other day. Picking it up in a few days after the new year. It's still on original tyres, last week the bloke took it to Yamaha to get a once over, service etc so it should be a good bike. It is that close to brand new it's nearly to good to ride, haha. 14'+ are another 2k on top of what I paid so I thought I'd stick with this.

Sounds like you scored a sweet deal! She will be a ripper no doubt

Thanks mate. It should be a good change! Got my car stollen a couple of weeks ago. Lost EVERYTHING in it too. Wallet, tools, you name it. Looking forward to a reliable machine.