Sign in to follow this  

first time on mx track

shift.

also watch the pro's, you need your foot way out in front in corners to dab if needed.

use the groves in corners.

oh and turn the camera....

Edited by Excitable
  • Like 1

place looks dead, when was that?

. Cant remember the exact date but it was a sunday and it was pretty cold. Edited by jakektm150sx

You look good for your first time on track! Couple of things I saw that might help (bearing in mind I'm only a weekend warrior myself):

Try build up more speed in the run up to the jumps, the momentum will carry you further and you won't have to try gas it on the face. You seem very on/off the throttle in the run up to some of the table tops which you could clear with a confident approach. 

On those big rollers try holding a constant throttle on, keeping your weight slightly back to help keep the front up and squeezing with your legs. You start doing it for the first couple at 0:47 then start backing off which bounces you instead of driving forward. Click up a gear if needed. 

As others have said use the ruts! 

• Like 1

You look good for your first time on track! Couple of things I saw that might help (bearing in mind I'm only a weekend warrior myself):

Try build up more speed in the run up to the jumps, the momentum will carry you further and you won't have to try gas it on the face. You seem very on/off the throttle in the run up to some of the table tops which you could clear with a confident approach.

On those big rollers try holding a constant throttle on, keeping your weight slightly back to help keep the front up and squeezing with your legs. You start doing it for the first couple at 0:47 then start backing off which bounces you instead of driving forward. Click up a gear if needed.

As others have said use the ruts!

thanks for the long reply and since this video has been made i have gone to the track once more and am clearing most jumps(like you said i relized i was purposely slowing my self down because im not to used to jumps) and using the outside rut alot which helps me with momentum i just didnt have the gopro while i was there

No worries. I know the feeling, I'm still learning myself coming from track (road) racing jumps are still daunting! Once you clear them and land on the down ramp it's so much better and smoother. 

Your bike sounds really crisp, would love to have a blast on one of those 150s! 

Edited by MJRacing92

If that's your first time, you ain't got much to worry about. All I'd say is stand more to get technique down. This will initially slow you down but technique will get you faster safer. Also I'd shift a bit earlier as you'll just we spinning the back wheel.

• Like 1

Looks like you need to squeeze more with your knees, that's something you need to get used to though. It doesn't give you any problems right now but when you get faster you will notice that your bike acts very unstable if you don't squeeze. Also squeeze when you jump!!! Squeezing will also help you get rid off arm pump (I don't know if you get any). When you squeeze you will also be able to steer the bike with your legs, which is what you want to do. 

Good that you tried taking some ruts, keep practicing them. In corners, you need to sit more to the front and move your foot to the front wheel instead of to the side though.

Also when you are in the air, try standing straight up instead of keeping your knees bent. That way when you land, you can go through your knees again and absorb the shock (think of it as jumping on a trampoline).

Like the others said, shift up.

Obviously I'm going a little into the details here, but keep these things in the back of your head. Other than that, pretty good for a first timer!

As others have said, stand more... you will have loads more control and progress much faster than sitting. You will also naturally grip the bike a bit more. Good idea to develop good habits early on than it is to go bad and try to fix bad habits. 

Want to learn how to ride fast or just jump?

If u want to be a fast guy pick a few corners and work on turning. Do a corner over and over until you consistently flow thru it. Then pick a different one and do the same. Rights and lefts. Invest time and effort in this and jumping will come. I wish someone had told me this when I started riding. I've spent a lot of time correcting bad habits...

For a beginner, your doing an outstanding job! Anyways, Its hard to tell with your go pro mounted on the side, but in those flat turns it looks like your trying to lean with the bike. Flat turns you should be leaning the bike down but keeping your upper body strait up and down, perpendicular to the ground. As said before, squeeze the bike with your legs. I notice your outside leg in the turn seems to be flopping all over the place. 

Another tip is throttle control. You looked hesitant to take those ruts. When you start using them, the key is to keep looking forward and more importantly, maintain steady throttle. Your riding a 2 stroke so it won't effect you as much, but with 4 stroke engine braking chopping the throttle will cause the front to get some serious traction and usually throws you out of the rut.

No worries. I know the feeling, I'm still learning myself coming from track (road) racing jumps are still daunting! Once you clear them and land on the down ramp it's so much better and smoother. 

Your bike sounds really crisp, would love to have a blast on one of those 150s! 

This for sure. Once you start clearing stuff and realize its wayyyy smoother and faster to just jump the entire thing instead of 3/4 of it it makes it easier. Its all mental.

The ones that still get me are the jumps right out of corners that take all the 250F has to make it over them. Its hard to hit them consistently lap after lap because you make 1 small bobble in the corner and your mind instantly goes to "I cant make this now".