Sign in to follow this  

Drown Bike Recovery- KTM 150

So, recently I was racing a hare scramble and managed to get a few feet off the trail, ending up in a hole five feet deep 👎 . Bike (KTM 150sx Twostroke) was submerged for about 3 minutes :banghead: . Called it quits then and got the biked towed back to the truck. That night I flushed the gear box and all a few times until oil was once again looking the same as when it entered. Pulled the pipe off and a good amount of water flowed out. Even flipped the bike over and removed spark plug to try and pump water out, with only a few squirts of water actually exiting from the spark plug port. Finally got the bike back together and after kicking for about two whole minutes it managed to fire up. Seemed to be running as usual until after about 2 minutes, then I noticed coolant leaking from underneath the expansion pipe where the pipe meets the exhaust port. It kept occurring after letting it cool down and starting again so I decided to take off the cylinder to try to find a solution. Now no actual issue was found but cylinder and cylinder head look fine. I ordered new head gaskets in hope that is the solution to my problem. But now I am concerned that maybe the issue is somewhere in the power valve (exhaust control system). Could sinking the bike in water have caused any problems here? Or is it most likely head gaskets? 

Sorry for long write up, just want to make sure I didn't leave anything out!

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Edited by CKR72

is their a chance your air filter is soaked ?

do you actualy have head gaskets or is it twin o rings? o rings are usually pretty forgiving head gaskets will show the path of the leak after only a short time.

if your going to drown your bike hit the kill switch and stop the motor from spinning as fast as you can, after the dip get the front end up in the air kick the motor over slowly to avoid hydraulicking or hydro lock and blowing out gaskets. after it quits spitting water get a hill or buddy to push you in second gear that will clean it out faster than kicking it. good luck

After pulling the bike out, I checked the filter and it was only damp in a small portion of the filter(the bike went nose first into the whole and was almost vertical). Yeah the bike has the two o-rings on the cylinder head instead of head gaskets.

I finally installed new o-rings on the head gasket and that seemed to solve the problem! Let it warm up a bit and it seems all is well again! Thanks for advice.

• Like 2