Sign in to follow this  

Q on engine and tyranny oil change 2005 CRF450R

I have a question, kind of unorthodox I guesss...

Drained both engine and tyranny oil on my 2005 crf450r. Transmission side I added 600cc Shell Rotella-T. I rode the bike for 5 mins then let it sit. Any reason I couldn't guarantee exact fill size by now removing the level screw and making sure none comes out (if some doesn't add a little till It does come out)? Feels weird just going based on 600cc. Sight unseen...

For the engine oil side I swapped filter and did 690cc which after running and settling for an hour put it half way up the sight glass between LOW and HIGH. So any reason you basically can't use the sight glass? Just keep it between the two and life is good?

Edited by Agr0

As suggested, forget the oil level bolt, just measure and pour. An ounce or so extra in the trans keeps the idler gear quiet.

Crank side, just make sure it stays between lines, adding oil if needed.

Thanks.  The manual says 590cc at change. I believe a bit more if you had split the cases (I didn't)

So I followed and just added a clean 600cc per my Ratio-Rite.  650cc is 1.8oz more, 700cc is about 3.5oz more, so that is significant.  

Edited by Agr0

I run 700 to 725 cc in the trans, we all know what the manual says, we all know for the trans side it is wrong.  take the advise or not, after all you ask...My friend has ran a full quart for the his bike, over 7 years now no issues hundreds of hours more than mine.  Good enough for me.

I run 700 to 725 cc in the trans, we all know what the manual says, we all know for the trans side it is wrong.  take the advise or not, after all you ask...My friend has ran a full quart for the his bike, over 7 years now no issues hundreds of hours more than mine.  Good enough for me.

That's in just the tranny side right?

yes just tranny side, engine side I fill to half glass run it let it set a while and top off to about 2/3 glass, it goes up to full once warmed up and I maintain it between 2/3 and he full mark hot.

The manual is not right for some reason. And it's still not right on my 2013. It says 650 in manual and it's clearly stamped 720 on the case. 720 puts it right at the check bolt. Always go by the number stamped on the case. Most people don't even know what that number is there for. Lol

The number on the side is for a fully torn down deoiled engine total capacity.  the book is for normal oil drain change leaving some in the engine.

Edited by ramjetV8

The book is still wrong. 650cc doesn't even get the oil close to the check bolt. I dump 720 every time and forget about it. A little extra oil won't hurt anyway