Sign in to follow this  

Mercedes Metris

So this thing is about to start selling in US.  It's Vito in the rest of the world.  Anyone got info on real-world usability for dirt bike hauling?  Looks like height-wise it's tight but Ok (will need tie down or starting device to compress forks), and also that second row seat won't fit together with a bike.  Anyone got their hands on one yet?  The specs on them are mighty good (2.5lbs cargo, 5K tow, 28mpg, ~$35K)

Euro vans are typically a bit narrower, but I can tell you the power train will be rock solid and efficient. The 2.1 liter twin turbocharged diesel used in their products is torquey and efficient. Similar to Viano in Europe which has a Marco Polo edition pop top...we can only hope this comes to US!

We don't get diesel in US yet, only turbo gas engine.

I'm seriously interested in the new Metris. They just arrived at my local dealership, and I've had a look. This van makes a lot of sense for hauling motorcycles! It's not too big like a Sprinter or Transit, and not too small like a Transit Connect, NVT200, or the Ram Promaster. The very low floor deck height should make loading a motorcycle (even a 500 pound street bike) quite easy compared to any 2 or 4 wheel drive pickup truck, and the inside length and width are no problem. The only potential issue would be the door opening height, and it's taller than the small vans listed above.

It's the lowest price Mercedes imported into the US so that's good. My issue is that it's only available with a gas turbo four cylinder, and rear wheel drive. I would have preferred a V6 front drive. In it's favor: it fits in most suburban garages! I'm tired of going to the Chicago Auto Show every year with a tape measure, to size up trucks and vans to see if they fit my simple requirements: must be able to easily load a motorcycle by myself, and must fit it the garage. Last disappointment were the new GM Colorado/Canyons- beds are too short to be practical, and floor deck height too tall. No single cab available. I don't want or need a crew cab or four wheel drive, and don't want to spend $55K on a truck like everyone else apparently does.

I'm going to be watching closely and measure one up in more detail, and will be looking to see if others find them user friendly for hauling bikes- this thing has the potential to be an excellent van for hauling toys.

Edited by sandman900ss

I'm seriously interested in the new Metris. They just arrived at my local dealership, and I've had a look. This van makes a lot of sense for hauling motorcycles! It's not too big like a Sprinter or Transit, and not too small like a Transit Connect, NVT200, or the Ram Promaster. The very low floor deck height should make loading a motorcycle (even a 500 pound street bike) quite easy compared to any 2 or 4 wheel drive pickup truck, and the inside length and width are no problem. The only potential issue would be the door opening height, and it's taller than the small vans listed above.

It's the lowest price Mercedes imported into the US so that's good. My issue is that it's only available with a gas turbo four cylinder, and rear wheel drive. I would have preferred a V6 front drive. In it's favor: it fits in most suburban garages! I'm tired of going to the Chicago Auto Show every year with a tape measure, to size up trucks and vans to see if they fit my simple requirements: must be able to easily load a motorcycle by myself, and must fit it the garage. Last disappointment were the new GM Colorado/Canyons- beds are too short to be practical, and floor deck height too tall. No single cab available. I don't want or need a crew cab or four wheel drive, and don't want to spend $55K on a truck like everyone else apparently does.

I'm going to be watching closely and measure one up in more detail, and will be looking to see if others find them user friendly for hauling bikes- this thing has the potential to be an excellent van for hauling toys.

Total agreement on all counts. I had a Dakota xtra cab that I could load my bike in easily and drive it into my garage. That allowed me to just drive off in the morning no matter the weather and not worry if some maggot was stealing my stuff overnight. Waited over a year for the Colorado and it is more than a sad joke. These small vans are looking much better if tall enough. But not too tall.

The Metris makes much more sense to me, and is way more practical for hauling motorcycles than the Nissan could ever be. The NV literally doesn't measure up- I didn't even consider one after looking closely at it in person. They also lost me with the CVT (transmission), and I have little confidence with a vehicle manufactured in Mexico. Done.

YHGEORGE: the height of the cargo version is 75"- that means it'll easily fit under a standard 7' height garage door opening.

Here's an interesting review and unbiased opinion on the Mercedes:

http://www.web2carz.com/autos/buying-and-selling/4277/the-mercedes-benz-metris-isnt-a-minivan-its-an-eminently-capable-commercial-van

Edited by sandman900ss

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1451621626.715807.jpg

The cvt works perfect. The van is well built. It was 20k. How much is the metris??[emoji23] i've a feeling an ecoboost transit could be had for less.

Metris starts at just under $30K. The cargo vans I saw at my dealer stickered for $31-35K. Passenger vans were in the low-mid $40K range. I hate that many were optioned with expensive electronic safety things (lane departure). They also had extra heating and cooling bundled packages. You'd think that they'd come standard with backup cameras, but it's an option.

Next trip to my dealer's area, I'm planning on a test drive and taking more measurements. I want to see if there's any possible deal killers with these things, not seeing any yet. The door opening height needs to be confirmed, but it seems to be just taller enough to work- larger than the three current mini vans. I watched a tradesman on his hands and knees struggling to load his Transit Connect- no way it'd be practical for motorcycle!

This custom Metris was one of a group shown at SEMA last year. Look past the goofy paint and dj theme - imagine this in titanium, black, or Mercedes silver with black wheels. Kind of what AMG would do. With an interior that's sound proofed, has carpeted walls, and is set up for motorcycles, and possible sleeping. Recaro seats up front.

http://lln.mnmcdn.com/photos/content/october2014/thumbnails5.0/metris-sema-ri_653.jpg

Edited by sandman900ss

True! I'll calm down.

My point is that unlike the other cargo vans currently available, the Metris clearly has the potential to be customized and personalized into something very cool down the road if I choose, and it fits inside my freaking garage. Even an upgrade to the passenger van's stock alloy wheels, and painting the black plastic bumper covers to match the body color (like the passenger van) would instantly make it visually nicer and not cost too much. The AMG theme is just an idea or concept, but would be a really unique and special van.

Here's where I'm coming from: I missed the whole van craze in the 1970's- I've been driving a Chevy truck of some sort since then. If Chevy or Ford offered a modern mid size van (like the old Astro or Aerostar), I'd be all over it instead. They don't, and probably won't. This van appears to be just right in many ways, which is why I'm seriously interested- I need to be able to fit a 500lb street motorcycle in my next hauler, not just a 250 dirt bike.

👍 We have had five vans, all full size. Modded to fit your needs a van offers lots to love. I am planning to make a lot of offroad events that have earned "bucket list" status over the years and that requires a lot of overnight traveling. Having things locked up securely is a big thing in today's world.  

Edited by YHGEORGE