Sign in to follow this  

Re jetting after barell resleeve

Seeking some advice, have had my 1996 kx250 barell resleeved with a cast iron sleeve, the original bore was plated, was told to go up 2 main jet sizes to assist with cooling ,currenty using 170 main which i believe is 2 up from the standard 165 , and up one grove on the needle,question is , im getting a bit more smoke than I expected ,and not reving out as smooth as I would like, running 32:1 with castrol tt2 with 98 octane pump fuel, Has anyone has similar rebuild,would be interested in jetting set ups .

Cheers

Brad

This is just me... I would jet the bike properly.  If you want to run it a bit rich for break in, that's fine.  But if the bike is not running well you need to re-jet it to it's proper range.  You don't want to be fouling plugs all the time and riding a generally poor running bike in order to save some time on the sleeve.

While you need to break in any iron barrel engine, the jetting should return to what it was prior to the sleeve job after beak in.

You really should of replated the barrel and not sleeved it. To late for this advice.

• Like 1