Sign in to follow this  

Painting my frame... And Wrapping

The paint on my cr85 frame is ugly and white and is starting to go discoloured can I just paint over it with my new paint or do I have to strip it etc also I would like to carbon wrap my forks as they have scratches on from falling over etc can I do this? And also wrap part of the frame where my boots will catch to stop it from rubbing the new paint or buy some grip tape ? Any help appreciated

Just clean it really good,  prime it,  paint it.   Don't try to combat it.   Let the frame get worn by boots, gives it character.  

Take off all parts you don't want paint to get on, or mask-n-newspaper em!  Clean it off good, take a scotch brite pad and rough up the surface, use etching primer, I just bet you have metal showing in some high wear areas. let it dry, then rattle can away!

• Like 1

Ok thanks I've already gave it a little sand so it looks flat so now I can just paint my colour on no problem do I have to lacker/clear coat it as well

• Like 1

Clear won't hurt, but I never use it.  Duplicolor is one of the best readily available at most auto stores.  

• Like 1

If you are not using a good quality (and usually expensive) automotive paint, your frame will be/get uglier after you spray bomb it and go ride.....Either do it right and paint it professionally (or powder coat it) or leave it alone. Your bike isn't really worth a whole lot of money and having a good paint job done (even if you take the time to do it yourself) you'll be spending more money than the bike is worth. Since an 85 won't last forever (you'll out grow it), I'd lust clean it real good, lightly sand the "rough" spots and leave it at that. 

I buy and sell bikes I usually deal with 85-250s but I just want it looking half decent for sale as most I see look pretty decent

• Like 1

Sand it so it's smooth at the wear places and I use Krylon rattle can paint from Wallyworld. Krylon is thick and rubberyish.

On my YZ250 smoker I used paint stripper to strip my frame down to bare metal then primer and Krylon.

Okay thanks I'm using paint gun set up with specially mixed paints might go for a sliver with glitter or a red with glitter