Sign in to follow this  

2014 XR650L Newbie Questions

Hello All, My name is Jimmy and I live in Dallas. I just bought a 2014 XR650L with 2k miles, bone stock. I can't leave anything alone so I bought an FMF powerbomb w/ Q4 muffler and a smog block off kit. What jetting is most used? I read 158/55 on some older posts. Is that still the way to go on a 2014?

Unifilter or K&N? My goal is better sound and less decel pop. Decent gas mileage wouldn't hurt. I do see a bigger gas tank in my future and maybe a lower seat. How much do the lowering links really lower it?, does it hurt handling or less wheeling ?

Thanks,Jimmy

Hello All, My name is Jimmy and I live in Dallas. I just bought a 2014 XR650L with 2k miles, bone stock. I can't leave anything alone so I bought an FMF powerbomb w/ Q4 muffler and a smog block off kit. What jetting is most used? I read 158/55 on some older posts. Is that still the way to go on a 2014?

Unifilter or K&N? My goal is better sound and less decel pop. Decent gas mileage wouldn't hurt. I do see a bigger gas tank in my future and maybe a lower seat. How much do the lowering links really lower it?, does it hurt handling or less wheeling ?

Thanks,Jimmy

Might want to try dirt bike forums>make model specific>honda>xr650. Likely to be alot of good help there.

Might want to try dirt bike forums>make model specific>honda>xr650. Likely to be alot of good help there.

Isn't that where this post is at? ???

UniFilter yes, K&N no!

I have had 158/55 jetting on my 2001 XR650L and it's a bit on the rich side.  But, when I had the motor rebuilt with a higher compression piston it was recommended by the builder to stick with the richer jetting.  I'm good up to about 6000 feet with that.  With the stock engine I think it would have run better with a 155 and that was what I was planning to put in there, but it's more important to me to protect my engine.

I have a Clarke 4.7 gallon tank on mine and like it a lot.  Some people feel that it's too fat and go with the 4.0 instead.  There are other good choices too.

As for popping on deceleration, good luck with that.  Mine pops like crazy and I just live with it.  It's a bit too lean at higher RPMs at closed throttle, but that's the ONLY time my bike is too lean.  More back pressure in the exhaust is the solution, and I

I'm not going with that.

Unless you're extremely short, don't lower the bike.  Learn to put one foot down when stopped instead of both.  Lowering it messes up the suspension, especially off road.

That's all I have to say.

• Like 1

Isn't that where this post is at? ???

UniFilter yes, K&N no!

I have had 158/55 jetting on my 2001 XR650L and it's a bit on the rich side.  But, when I had the motor rebuilt with a higher compression piston it was recommended by the builder to stick with the richer jetting.  I'm good up to about 6000 feet with that.  With the stock engine I think it would have run better with a 155 and that was what I was planning to put in there, but it's more important to me to protect my engine.

I have a Clarke 4.7 gallon tank on mine and like it a lot.  Some people feel that it's too fat and go with the 4.0 instead.  There are other good choices too.

As for popping on deceleration, good luck with that.  Mine pops like crazy and I just live with it.  It's a bit too lean at higher RPMs at closed throttle, but that's the ONLY time my bike is too lean.  More back pressure in the exhaust is the solution, and I

I'm not going with that.

Unless you're extremely short, don't lower the bike.  Learn to put one foot down when stopped instead of both.  Lowering it messes up the suspension, especially off road.

That's all I have to say.

The mods moved it.

Got it.  That was nice of them.  So where was it?

Some wheres in street bike. It's a common mistake with newbies, especially with dual sports, so if I see a post set for more than a day or 2 I try to help.

Thanks all, yes I put it in the wrong forum.

I will probably ride it 99.9% of the time on the street. Yes I am doing Daves mod. I read it was for the 40mm carb. So wasn't sure about dong it to the 42.5. Has anyone tried the Saddlemen Low seat. That may be a better option than lowering it.

Or maybe cutting the stock seat down. Is there enough padding to take it down a couple of inches abd it still be rideable? Thanks again and Merry Christmas

One more thing. Bar end weights. Is see the DR has them. Do they cut the vibes down at highway speed very much? Worth the effort?

One more thing. Bar end weights. Is see the DR has them. Do they cut the vibes down at highway speed very much? Worth the effort?

I have found no need for bar end weights on mine.  I've never noticed any vibration issues through the bars at any speed, including long runs on the freeway a couple of weeks ago.  But I just realized that I have Cycra aluminum hand guards, so those probably do more than bar end weights would do.  Get a set of those for your bike and you won't have to worry about breaking levers if it ever falls over.

You could lower the seat about two inches in the middle, but not at the back.  You would have to go with some firmer foam - or at least firmer than the foam that they used in the 2001.

Edited by ScottRNelson

Thanks all, yes I put it in the wrong forum.

I will probably ride it 99.9% of the time on the street. Yes I am doing Daves mod. I read it was for the 40mm carb. So wasn't sure about dong it to the 42.5. Has anyone tried the Saddlemen Low seat. That may be a better option than lowering it.

Or maybe cutting the stock seat down. Is there enough padding to take it down a couple of inches abd it still be rideable? Thanks again and Merry Christmas

I have a 01 I just did Dave's mod I never looked to see what size carb it is I just did it. The thing response so much better it's a must do job.

Just got the bike back. It runs 100% better especially the mid range. The bottom is much improved too. It is definitely more fun to ride. I thought the Q4 would have been louder. It has a great sound, but not very loud. I guess I won't have to worry about a ticket...haha

Next purchases are gonna be the cyclerack and a Clark 4.7. Oh yeah. I just bought the Saddlemen Low Seat. Should have it in a few days. I had a used set of bar end weights. They seems to help highway vibes some. Still plan on some cycra hand guards soon. It is getting there. Thanks for everyone's help. Jimmy