Sign in to follow this  

Need advice on purchase

Hello all! New here and need some advice. I am looking at a 2003 drz400s. It has just under 10000 miles, a dent in the tank, deer damage to the right side needing new turn signal,brake lever, and probably bars. The case cover has been cracked and repaired. I am an experienced rider both on and offroad and getting back into riding. Will be about 20/80 street/dirt. They are asking $1900 but I would offer $1500. Do you think this is a good deal or too many problems/miles? Thank you

1500 may be pushing it as top dollar to me. Not exactly low mileage and certainly needs work. I would have to be much closer to 1k or I would walk.

Edited by DEMI
  • Like 1

Hello all! New here and need some advice. I am looking at a 2003 drz400s. It has just under 10000 miles, a dent in the tank, deer damage to the right side needing new turn signal,brake lever, and probably bars. The case cover has been cracked and repaired. I am an experienced rider both on and offroad and getting back into riding. Will be about 20/80 street/dirt. They are asking $1900 but I would offer $1500. Do you think this is a good deal or too many problems/miles? Thank you

I guess it depends on the individual.  I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy it, and tear it down.  Grease / repair / replace everything needed.

DRZ400 is a good all-around bike, a bit heavy though, but most dual-sports are.  Proper suspension will be must for 80% dirt...

• Like 1

When you say tear it down, do you mean rebuild the motor? Cause that's definitely not what I wanna get into. And just tune the suspension or replace parts? Thanks

• Like 1

When you say tear it down, do you mean rebuild the motor? Cause that's definitely not what I wanna get into. And just tune the suspension or replace parts? Thanks

Nah, those motors are pretty tough.  Just check valve clearance & change the oil. 

Suspension...Race-Tech Springs & Gold Valves, according to your weight & type of riding.

• Like 1

Too many repairs needed bro. Pass. Keep looking. Craigslist is a good idea. Even Flea Bay. Might have to drive a little. Find a loved unit.

• Like 1

I think it depends on where you live and what's in the area. I would jump on that at $1000, think real hard about it at $1500. Bikes are far and few between in this area. Orange bikes sell at astronomical prices used. If you have patience (especially this time of year), you can find better options. You just need to move quickly when you do.

• Like 1

I think it depends on where you live and what's in the area. I would jump on that at $1000, think real hard about it at $1500. Bikes are far and few between in this area. Orange bikes sell at astronomical prices used. If you have patience (especially this time of year), you can find better options. You just need to move quickly when you do.

Agree, just needs simple stuff...

• Like 1

That's the problem, there isn't much here in Colorado right now. And I'm shopping bikes for me and my wife. There were several before I had the money of course lol. But I don't wanna spend money fixing things that I could spend on travel gear

don't let haste make a headache. The DR sounds like a money pit. Keep looking.

• Like 1