Sign in to follow this  

DR650 Transmission Failures

I figured I would pick TT's brain on the growing list of transmission failures on '96 to current DR650's.  The failures can be catastrophic with gears breaking, jamming the transmission and destroying the engine. 

The failures seem to be random with no correlation between age, mileage, oil type, or oil change frequency. 

This is my transmission from my '09 DR. 

IMG_20151218_140837_zps5v1ta553.jpg

IMG_20151218_140808_zps8avndzhz.jpg

You can just see the tooth faces failing on 5th gear driven and drive gears.  (2nd gear from the right in both pics). 

I am the original owner of the bike and it has 25,000kms on it right now (16,000 miles).  Oil changes averaged out at about 2500kms.  I did experiment with Shell Rotella 15w-40 for several oil changes.  A very poor shifting bike became a horrible shifting bike with that oil in the trans.  I then changed to Kawasaki full synth 10w-40.  Recently I have been running Maxima semi-synth 20w50.  The tranny's shifting performance is leaps and bounds better with the semi or full synth oil compared to the Rotella. 

Any insight out there on the Suzuki transmissions?  I know TT members have had issues with Suzuki dirt bike gearboxes.  Would it be worth my time to look into cryo or ISF treatment on my replacement gears?  If at very least to help with the poor shifting.  And recommendation on companies that do Cryo or ISF?  Ballpark cost?

The DR650 does have a known problem with 3rd gear.  There are expensive oem parts (no doubt with the same problems), or there are very expensive after market 3rd gears which I believe are a permanent solution.

I was hoping to reach a wider audience on TT.  There are a lot more posters here with technical backgrounds compared to drriders.

I was hoping to reach a wider audience on TT.  There are a lot more posters here with technical backgrounds compared to drriders.

At first that would make sense, but considering that the DRriders web site is a complete web site that's basically committed to just the DR 650, you are reaching a bigger audience by going there over TT.  Even ADV rider has a bigger DR650 audience than TT.

Honestly, I've already tried ~ both DRriders and ADV rider have far more DR bike owners than TT. All of the real tech advice on TT's DR650 forum came from DR rider ~ really.

At first that would make sense, but considering that the DRriders web site is a complete web site that's basically committed to just the DR 650, you are reaching a bigger audience by going there over TT.  Even ADV rider has a bigger DR650 audience than TT.

Honestly, I've already tried ~ both DRriders and ADV rider have far more DR bike owners than TT. All of the real tech advice on TT's DR650 forum came from DR rider ~ really.

Hmm, I started a thread before this thread on DRR about my trans and garnered nothing more than the standard "it must be the oil" response.  I have also read the ADVR threads.  And other than some talk on the the aftermarket 3rd gear set all that really is discussed is oil or that its a "one in a million" chance of failure.

There is a lot racers on TT.  Racers on Suzuki's.  From my research it looks like the gear pitting, broken gears and poor shifting is fairly common on the Suzuki MX'ers.  I was hoping for some insight on what racers have done to prevent premature wear in their tranny's. 

Nothing wrong with thinking outside the box.  Especially when most DR riders have their heads in the sand regarding these bikes. 

Edited by bkoz

Nope, nothing wrong with throwing your problem up on several boards, seems like someone would have some good information.

FWIW my '03 DR650 has 25,000 miles on it and it still shifts fine.

Nope, nothing wrong with throwing your problem up on several boards, seems like someone would have some good information.

FWIW my '03 DR650 has 25,000 miles on it and it still shifts fine.

Just lost my whole lower end and piston and cylinder due to 3rd gear drive gear coming apart(3 pieces) Been doing a lot of research trying to decide best route to rebuild. Got a lot of info from drriders forum. Suzuki sells an updated gear that still looks the same but I should hope it is better steel and or heat treated better. The problem seems to be up to 2008 bikes with more than 10k miles. Many were used in the sand and hot climates mine included, and most of us wheelie in third.

Also 3rd , 4th and 5th work in unison while cruising down the highway.

Mine is a 97 which for some unknown reason had it's engine replaced with a 2002, so the PO told me. Well he also threw in an extra head, magneto,clutch,carb, imagine were that stuff came from? First engine must have lost trans.Now the second fails 2 years later at my cost.

So I will tear down my 2001 replacement engine put new 3rd gear set($160) in along with oil pump plastic gear,timing chain, piston and rings,replace neutral switch screws and try again.

The bullet proof gears from ProCycle are $600. The bike is only worth $3000 repaired.(has lots of farkels) only reason I bothered to fix it.Should of kept my previous DRZ and KLR! They were really BULLETPROOF!

Having run 7 bikes near to or over 100,000 miles (not kms), I'd say that if you ever have tx problems as described, then it's far too soon.  There's no reason why a bike tx wouldn't last as long as a car manual tx.

Just as a piece of useless trivia, I was driving a road train for a while with a little over 3,000,000 km (that's close enough to 2,000,000 miles) on the clock and both the Cat15 engine and the 18 speed Road Ranger tx were still original.  I do love Road Rangers!

Just lost my whole lower end and piston and cylinder due to 3rd gear drive gear coming apart(3 pieces) Been doing a lot of research trying to decide best route to rebuild. Got a lot of info from drriders forum. Suzuki sells an updated gear that still looks the same but I should hope it is better steel and or heat treated better. The problem seems to be up to 2008 bikes with more than 10k miles. Many were used in the sand and hot climates mine included, and most of us wheelie in third.

Also 3rd , 4th and 5th work in unison while cruising down the highway.

Mine is a 97 which for some unknown reason had it's engine replaced with a 2002, so the PO told me. Well he also threw in an extra head, magneto,clutch,carb, imagine were that stuff came from? First engine must have lost trans.Now the second fails 2 years later at my cost.

So I will tear down my 2001 replacement engine put new 3rd gear set($160) in along with oil pump plastic gear,timing chain, piston and rings,replace neutral switch screws and try again.

The bullet proof gears from ProCycle are $600. The bike is only worth $3000 repaired.(has lots of farkels) only reason I bothered to fix it.Should of kept my previous DRZ and KLR! They were really BULLETPROOF!

Unfortunately there has still been failures with the "updated" Suzuki gearset.  Did a tooth let go or did the gear split on your bike? 

Unfortunately there has still been failures with the "updated" Suzuki gearset.  Did a tooth let go or did the gear split on your bike? 

Gear was broke into 3 pieces,120 degrees apart, a break at each cog. All teeth and three cogs still intact.

Gear was broke into 3 pieces,120 degrees apart, a break at each cog. All teeth and three cogs still intact. Was cruising 75mph home from a snow camping trip with about a 50lb load and myself with gear 200lbs. No strange noise or vibes. I did notice while in town driving, occasionally I  would have to double shift the foot lever once in a while going from 2nd to 3rd. Probably a good indicator to tear it down and inspect gears for You folks in the future. Could have done it  myself for about a $100 versus the $1000 it's costing me now not including labor.

haulinace, any pics of that gear?