Sign in to follow this  

08 crf450r start up

Is there any tricks to starting a 450. I bought one a while back and have a heck of a time starting it. I could start my 250 just fine. My cousin will get on my 450 and start it right up.

I am new to the crf450 and I had found so far that you don't have to kick it hard just hard enough to get it to turn over the harder I kicked it the less it wanted to start

Hello & Welcome

Below is a copy and paste from an old thread.

I have owned a few 4 stoke MX bikes of different makes and models over the years from 250's to my ride now CRF450R 2005

The one thing that all these bikes had in Common is that if well maintained and serviced they all started first or second kick hot or cold, if you have the starting technique worked out for that bike.

I am that confinent that I have bet & won beer on my bikes starting first kick hot or cold

My starting technique for the CRF 450R      2005

Cold start:    Pull choke, three full twist of the throttle.

Kick slowly to top dead centre and then that easy 1/16 kick past TDC

( Decompression )

Now let the Kickstarter come all the way back up to the top.

Put your foot on Kickstarter and push down slowly until there is resistance against it -- about 1 ½ inch down

Hold the front brake on, this will stop you accidently twisting the throttle while kicking. DO NOT TWIST THE THOTTLE when you kick you will flood the bike :banghead:

Now with one smooth hard kick, Kick all the way through , bike should start.  :ride:

One good strong kick is better than 100 medium kicks

you just won a 6 pack of beer off your mate that bet you it wouldn’t start in one kick. 😛

The above will work for all 4 stoke bikes the only difference that I have found is how many twist of the throttle when cold

With the 250,s I have found that two twist work better.

Hot start: is the same as above but no choke and do not twist the thottle at all ,,,   pull  & hold on the hot start lever with your left hand before kicking.

If you have your starting technique worked out for your bike and  

it won’t start in three kicks there’s a problem that needs to be looked at.

After first ride

If  my bike is turned off for more than 1 hour it cools down and you have to use the choke to start it again, but not the throttle twist.

If the bike has been sitting for 30mins just kick it and it will start. No choke

Sitting less than 2-5 min use the hot start.

This is all in 25deg Celsius heat.

ALWAYS start bike in neutral as you will have clutch drag if it is in gear and will not start even if you have the clutch in

Below video is of my bike first start up after full top end rebuild. It shows the way that I start my bike cold. When I bend to the left I,m pulling the choke

Cheers

First start after Full top end rebuild. Held kill switch for the first two kicks to cycle oil. Smoke was expected as it was a wet rebuild

post-345792-0-69502500-1439105003_thumb. post-345792-0-34150200-1439105582_thumb. post-345792-0-98155400-1439105752_thumb. post-345792-0-59283500-1439105920_thumb. post-345792-0-03843300-1439106558_thumb.

Edited by UHF2
  • Like 1

once you have it running adjust the low speed mixture screw. if it has the stock screw then it is hard to adjust. unless you have the special tool  .the aftermarket screws allow adjusting with your fingers. if the bike is too lean or rich it will be hard to start also valves might need to be adjusted 

Hello & Welcome

Below is a copy and paste from an old thread.

I have owned a few 4 stoke MX bikes of different makes and models over the years from 250's to my ride now CRF450R 2005

The one thing that all these bikes had in Common is that if well maintained and serviced they all started first or second kick hot or cold, if you have the starting technique worked out for that bike.

I am that confinent that I have bet & won beer on my bikes starting first kick hot or cold

My starting technique for the CRF 450R 2005

Cold start: Pull choke, three full twist of the throttle.

Kick slowly to top dead centre and then that easy 1/16 kick past TDC

( Decompression )

Now let the Kickstarter come all the way back up to the top.

Put your foot on Kickstarter and push down slowly until there is resistance against it -- about 1 ½ inch down

Hold the front brake on, this will stop you accidently twisting the throttle while kicking. DO NOT TWIST THE THOTTLE when you kick you will flood the bike :banghead:

Now with one smooth hard kick, Kick all the way through , bike should start. :ride:

One good strong kick is better than 100 medium kicks

you just won a 6 pack of beer off your mate that bet you it wouldn’t start in one kick. 😛

The above will work for all 4 stoke bikes the only difference that I have found is how many twist of the throttle when cold

With the 250,s I have found that two twist work better.

Hot start: is the same as above but no choke and do not twist the thottle at all ,,, pull & hold on the hot start lever with your left hand before kicking.

If you have your starting technique worked out for your bike and

it won’t start in three kicks there’s a problem that needs to be looked at.

After first ride

If my bike is turned off for more than 1 hour it cools down and you have to use the choke to start it again, but not the throttle twist.

If the bike has been sitting for 30mins just kick it and it will start. No choke

Sitting less than 2-5 min use the hot start.

This is all in 25deg Celsius heat.

ALWAYS start bike in neutral as you will have clutch drag if it is in gear and will not start even if you have the clutch in

Below video is of my bike first start up after full top end rebuild. It shows the way that I start my bike cold. When I bend to the left I,m pulling the choke

Cheers

First start after Full top end rebuild. Held kill switch for the first two kicks to cycle oil. Smoke was expected as it was a wet rebuild

https://youtu.be/V39mk0UTmnM

post-345792-0-69502500-1439105003_thumb. post-345792-0-34150200-1439105582_thumb. post-345792-0-98155400-1439105752_thumb. post-345792-0-59283500-1439105920_thumb. post-345792-0-03843300-1439106558_thumb.

These starting techniques for hot and cold are the exact same I've used on my 08 for years. My valves are always in spec and starting like this has never let me down

Hands off the throttle we put our hand on the throttle case assembly and a top dead center full and fast kick 2 or 3 times. That's how ours works .