Sign in to follow this  

New Plastics On A Old Bike

I have a 1989yz250wr which is the same as a yz250 besides the wide ratio transmission , i was wondering if there are any newer plastics that will fit right on or with little modification so i can give my bike and updated look, main things are the front and rear fenders but would also like to see what else could be changed. here are some pics of what model my bike is the pics are not my bike though i just got them off google for an example.

1989yz250.jpg

IMG_2594.jpg

• Like 2

Agree.  Get the period correct stickers, and enjoy having a classic!  I love it when folks see my 87 and 86 out.  Get to meet lots of folks who "remember when" and kids that think it's cool to see bikes older than them still running strong.

• Like 1

If it was me I would change two things. Find a more modern front fender and drill new holes to fit your bike. That's what my buddy did with his 125

Also find some used newer number plates on eBay and drill new holes as well.

1450716091440.jpg

1450716101035.jpg

Try dennis kirk, but I'm wondering why would you change a classic yz? It's like putting hood scoops, air dams, and big wings on a classic jag?attachicon.gifxk120-sten01.jpg

I will keep the original plastics and stuff for if I ever decide to make it look original, but for now I just want it to look cool and basically newer

I hear you bro, but you bike may be ridiculed by some folks out there wondering why you did the change, why waste money on non fitting plastics that may fall off and really look bad, when you could buy some shiny new panels and fenders? A lot of folks see the latest and greatist super duper dirtbikes and daydream about owning one. You will get more praise with a clean stocker, than a funky dunky franken bikes.Pcprincipal.pngJust keep it stock bro! and go with it!

Edited by cr-dude3
  • Like 2

I will keep the original plastics and stuff for if I ever decide to make it look original, but for now I just want it to look cool and basically newer

I'm not trying to shoot down your idea, in fact I applaud your vision, but I can't imagine any attempt to make an older bike like that look like a newer bike will end up well. :excuseme:

But if you really want to go ahead with your idea, consider you have 4 different timeframes of YZ bodywork to choose from: 1993-1995, 1996-2001, 2002-2014, 2015-on. Do a Yahoo Image search to see the differences. Don't forget to look at the YZF's for ideas as well.

Any stock YZ front fender will bolt on, with the exception of the YZF "bent beak" models that have slightly different hole spacing. Lots of discussion about these fenders in this forum. A TT search will give you more than enough info.

A newer front number plate should also be easily do-able. Check the FAQs...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/815538-

You may be able to cobble a newer rear fender onto your bike, since it just tucks up under the seat.

About the only thing you can do for the rear side panels is to trim them to mimic the outline of the newer panels. (A TT search will bring up threads about people who have done this.) Trying to get newer bodywork to fit the seat, airbox, and subframe would be impossible without a lot of custom (and expensive) fabrication. Again, a TT search will reveal threads where people have tried it.

Understand that body panels are not cheap, especially when you are basically experimenting with them.

BTW, like the other guys said, if you want your YZ to "look cool", just leave it stock, clean it real well, and learn to ride it well enough to beat your buddies. :banana:

Good luck, and keep us in the loop with what you do. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Just put a nice set of factory replica graphics or something on it. It will give it a much cleaner and more respectable look. And would look cooler than plastics with a way different design scheme. The newer bikes are designed using sharp lines, where as your era were more "rounded". Would look way out of place. Unless perhaps a 02-14 front mudguard in white, as they were rounded, but didn't reach so far over the front wheel like yours, which would look better.

Frame guards would look better too.

Edited by DiRTADDICT 22

Sometimes original is best.  Take for example my CR250:

20150322_173239_zpsziutvveq.jpg

Your bike was a brute in it's day, great power and reliable and tons of fun to ride.  I'd just clean it up and keep it all original if it were me.

• Like 4

I hear you bro, but you bike may be ridiculed by some folks out there wondering why you did the change, why waste money on non fitting plastics that may fall off and really look bad, when you could buy some shiny new panels and fenders? A lot of folks see the latest and greatist super duper dirtbikes and daydream about owning one. You will get more praise with a clean stocker, than a funky dunky franken bikes.attachicon.gifPcprincipal.pngJust keep it stock bro! and go with it!

U PC BRO?

• Like 1

I'm not trying to shoot down your idea, in fact I applaud your vision, but I can't imagine any attempt to make an older bike like that look like a newer bike will end up well. :excuseme:

But if you really want to go ahead with your idea, consider you have 4 different timeframes of YZ bodywork to choose from: 1993-1995, 1996-2001, 2002-2014, 2015-on. Do a Yahoo Image search to see the differences. Don't forget to look at the YZF's for ideas as well.

Any stock YZ front fender will bolt on, with the exception of the YZF "bent beak" models that have slightly different hole spacing. Lots of discussion about these fenders in this forum. A TT search will give you more than enough info.

A newer front number plate should also be easily do-able. Check the FAQs...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/815538-

You may be able to cobble a newer rear fender onto your bike, since it just tucks up under the seat.

About the only thing you can do for the rear side panels is to trim them to mimic the outline of the newer panels. (A TT search will bring up threads about people who have done this.) Trying to get newer bodywork to fit the seat, airbox, and subframe would be impossible without a lot of custom (and expensive) fabrication. Again, a TT search will reveal threads where people have tried it.

Understand that body panels are not cheap, especially when you are basically experimenting with them.

BTW, like the other guys said, if you want your YZ to "look cool", just leave it stock, clean it real well, and learn to ride it well enough to beat your buddies. :banana:

Good luck, and keep us in the loop with what you do. :thumbsup:

Ok thanks, I already have a 92 front fender it came like that when I bought it ill probably just change the rear fender and call it good

The rear fender I think will have to stay that year, there different then the newer one in looks and fit.

I should be able to put like a 1997 one on there maybe just drill 2 holes threw it if they don't line up?

Edited by kicknw1ng