Sign in to follow this  

Knee Braces Overkill for Single Track?

I recently bought a pair of ($300) knee braces based on the advice of a friend who rides MX. I've been wearing the braces every time I ride, but am finding it a little difficult to squeeze the bike between my knees. Are knee braces overkill for single track trail riding? The trails I ride keep me in 2nd for the most part and rarely 3rd, so I'm not going very fast. I used to wear knee pads and am thinking of reverting back. I'm not going off any jumps or drop-offs. I really just need something to protect my knees in case I take a spill and drop kick a rock or root with my knee. What do you guys think?

Edited by mossman77

Torn ACL from an enduro. Tree stump snagged my foot off the peg and the knee went "pop" I was on row 8, sweep didn't come by till row 110. This happened 10 years ago when I was 40. Funny thing was a friend recommended I get some and I thought sure, during the summer break. This was the last race before the break. I don't leave home without them. I wear CTI's now. You get used to them.

• Like 1

Didn't even think of my leg getting snagged. Sounds like I should continue wearing them. I guess I just feel like I'm wearing so much gear compared to everyone else I see. Part of the reason is likely because a lot of them are better riders. I'm sure ignorance and carelessness is part of it too. After all, I was riding some pretty gnarly trails the other day and a dad had his three year old straddled in front of him and neither one of them was wearing eye protection. Pretty careless if you ask me. I'll play it safe. I'm 38 and don't heal as quickly as I used to.

Edited by mossman77
  • Like 1

Don't get me wrong, they are comfortable and I hardly notice them. The issue is not being able to grasp the bike tight enough with my knees, which causes my arms to fatigue quicker. I almost want to try installing something on the sides of my bike that will enable me to get a better grip, like a small saddle shaped piece or something along those lines.

• Like 1

Just started wearing them this past summer, don't know what I was doing without them. I'll never ride without now. 

Why would you wear knee braces unless you have had a knee problem?  The chances of a femur break from wearing them is probably more than the chance you will mess up your knee.  Wear knee protection, not braces.

That was my question. Braces offer more protection from twisted knees, hypertension, etc, whereas pads are just a cushion against rocks, roots, etc.

Why would you wear knee braces unless you have had a knee problem? The chances of a femur break from wearing them is probably more than the chance you will mess up your knee. Wear knee protection, not braces.

the reason I wear them is so I don't jack my knees . I cringe whenever I watch those road bicyclists flying around with spandex on. Crazy! I dress to crash hard, if it doesn't happen that's fine., but when it does it's not like I saw it coming....

Why would you wear knee braces unless you have had a knee problem?  The chances of a femur break from wearing them is probably more than the chance you will mess up your knee.  Wear knee protection, not braces.

I get that, but in the woods are you really gonna tumble like you do in MX where that thought originated?  BTW, I don't wear braces (yet), but I am considering it after spraining my left knee at an enduro in Sept.  I still can't run without it bothering me.  Once I did that, my fall consisted of do a race, spend the next 2-3 weeks icing it down and eating ibuprofen and repeat. 

I get that, but in the woods are you really gonna tumble like you do in MX where that thought originated?

Not the same, but the likelihood of colliding with a tree or getting your booted snagged on a root is a pretty good reason to wear them. 

I blew my right knee in the fall of 14 riding single track. Was only in second gear, had a less than graceful dismount... nothing spectacular. The lateral force when my foot made contact with the dirt fractured bone where my ACL attaches on the upper. In my surgeons opinion, quality knee braces (like I wear now) would / could have prevented my injury.

4 months off work, a lot of lost income, and now I have a knee that will never be 100% again. I wear them religiously on my bike and sled now.

• Like 2

Totally agree. Wear guards, not braces.

Why? Because a knee injury is nothing compared to a femur fracture. Dr. Mark ran a fantastic thread on this here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/248376-knee-brace-broken-femur/page-1#entry2041280

• Like 1

I would think a knee injury is more likely than a femur break. That sort of rationale would mean not using a neck brace because it will break collarbones. Isn't there a couple examples of that and worse?

• Like 1

I would think a knee injury is more likely than a femur break. That sort of rationale would mean not using a neck brace because it will break collarbones. Isn't there a couple examples of that and worse?

Only problem with that theory is the current generation of neck braces don't rest on the collarbone. ;)

These are excellent pads I love them. won't ride without them after I watched my dad break his knee cap by running into me.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1450807782.644440.jpg

I wish I invested in knee braces from the very beginning. It doesnt take much to eff up your knee. 

And doesn't Dr. Mark wear a knee brace now?

Right, but don't many argue the benefits of them?

Broken femurs aren't a regular side effect of knee braces, the prevention of injury outweighs the cause of. I will wear them... how about football players who wear them?

• Like 2