Sign in to follow this  

1988 XR600R backfires when warm

Howdy!

1988 XR600R

I only run race fuel in it.

After riding one day, I parked her in the garage. I went to ride the next day, started right up on the second kick, and as it was sitting idling, after a minute or so, she started backfiring. If you give it throttle, it comes and goes, but it is unrideable as it is. It only does it after it gets warm. I can ride it for a short time cold, and everything is fine, but as soon as she warms up, backfire!!

I'm thinking electrical, because my guess is that the CDI or something gets warm and jacks with the timing. 

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

Ok, I'm just curious what I should look for in the carb? I rode it into my garage just fine, next day, this issue comes up, and it doesn't act up until it gets a little warm. What would have you thinking carb?

Look for crystalized ethanol chunks or other crud in the bowl and plugging the jets. Remove the pilot and main jets and the main jet emulsion tube and check that the tiny holes on the sides of the tube and pilot are clear as well as the main passage.

No guarantees that this is the problem but it is easy to rule out so you are not chasing your tail trying to diagnose an electrical problem that is actually a fuel problem. I have seen these symptoms from a partially plugged jet many times before.

I'll look at these things. The fuel that I run is VP110 leaded, ethanol free, so I better not find any ethanol crystals in there, but I'll look anyhow, as it is easy to do.