Sign in to follow this  

250f or 125 2t

I own a xr250r that I will be using for trails and trail races.

I'm looking to get into the MX scene and I have some problems.

I have tiny experience on a 2 stroke other than a kdx200 which is complete different than an MX bike.I do like the fact that a 2 stroke is cheaper and less to maintain.

A 250f. Hmm. I've riden four strokes all my life. I was looking into a KX-F or a CRF-R. I do not like the fact that they are so much to rebuild. What are your thoughts?

Depends on what your are spending and buying new or used. If you are buying used an a bike that is over 3 years old I would say stick to 2 stroke because any 4 stroke racing motor has the potential for a costly rebuild. If you are buying new or a low hour machine (>50 hrs) the 250f would make sense

You know, when I was on the fence about going to a 4 stroke I thought the same thing.. It'll cost me sooo much money blah blah blah and a 2 stroke is cheap and what not... Well I sat down and really thought about it.. With how much I'd spend on premix plus frequently changing my top end on a 2 stroke, I'd spend about the same amount at the end of the year as rebuilding a 4 stroke 1 time a year... So I went and got a new crf450 and now looking back on the whole 2 stroke idea, I've came to the conclusion that so far, running the 4 stroke has been cheaper for me because I'm not always doing work on it... I change the oil and oil filter every 6 hours (which is longer than you think) and clean the air filter after every ride and I'm done with it... I love my bike and I'm extremely happy with it. Hopefully this helps you make a decision

• Like 1

Or just but your favorite color because they're all the same anymore for us normal riders... Can't speak for pro level riders though lol

It goes either way, I love my 125 and my 250f.

125 pros:

-Light as a feather

-teaches you to ride fast

-cheap on rebuilds

Cons:

-Not alot of bottom end, learn clutch

-more frequent rebuilds, Im about to replace the rings on mine and i'm a C class woods racer, would be even more frequent for MX

250f pros

-torque for days compared to a 125

-alot easier to ride

-makes you have alot more confidence

-more power most of the time

-wayyy less rebuilds (my crf is going on 4 years, STOCK valves and piston)

Cons:

-alot more expensive when it comes to rebuilds but even then

BUT think about it this way; $100 on a top end lets say twice a season for the 125 and $400 for a complete top end (valves and piston) on a 250f. Let's say you rebuild the 4t every 3 years of riding. $400 after 3 years on the four stroke and then $600 on the two stroke.

The myth that all four strokes are time bombs is bullshit, even for hondas. If the bike is taken care of, It will be bulletproof. Change your oil, clean your air filter, and check your valves and any four stroke that has been taken care of will continue to take care of you.

• Like 1

Two strokes are a dang party. I loved my 2001 yz125, even though it seized on me. I fixed it and traded it for an 02 yz250f. The strong bottom end pull is one of my favorite feelings. I was kinda an amateur at riding 2 strokes, so I would slide out if the power band caught me by surprise. I have less accidents on my 250, but it still can do more than my 125 could.

BUT think about it this way; $100 on a top end lets say twice a season for the 125 and $400 for a complete top end (valves and piston) on a 250f. Let's say you rebuild the 4t every 3 years of riding. $400 after 3 years on the four stroke and then $600 on the two stroke.

The myth that all four strokes are time bombs is bullshit, even for hondas. If the bike is taken care of, It will be bulletproof. Change your oil, clean your air filter, and check your valves and any four stroke that has been taken care of will continue to take care of you.

$400 for a 4 stroke top end is assuming you are able to do all the work yourself. Some people, including me, would not be able to do that. 2 stroke top ends (I have not done one) are seemingly a lot easier and fun because you can do them yourself with little frustration; that is where the price difference comes in. From what I have researched it's around $900 for a shop to do a 4t top end. Plus on older 4 strokes (since there are more moving parts) there is a risk you take of it not holding up long.

Anyhow, if you ride a little bit bigger 2 strokes 200cc-300cc) for woods riding they will last a long time, many report over 100 hours with proper maintenance. Same concept works with a 450 compared to a 250 but not many people can ride a 450 effectively in the woods

$400 for a 4 stroke top end is assuming you are able to do all the work yourself. Some people, including me, would not be able to do that. 2 stroke top ends (I have not done one) are seemingly a lot easier and fun because you can do them yourself with little frustration; that is where the price difference comes in. From what I have researched it's around $900 for a shop to do a 4t top end. Plus on older 4 strokes (since there are more moving parts) there is a risk you take of it not holding up long.

Anyhow, if you ride a little bit bigger 2 strokes 200cc-300cc) for woods riding they will last a long time, many report over 100 hours with proper maintenance. Same concept works with a 450 compared to a 250 but not many people can ride a 450 effectively in the woods

Honestly, a top end on a four stroke is not hard at all to work on! If you have a manual and alot of patience, you should be able to rebuild it without a problem! And when you do get into a bigger bike such as a yz250, the top ends will actually last just as long as a 250f if not longer in the woods. However, the OP was talking about a 125. If it was a 250 vs 250f debate It would be alot harder of a choice.

Two strokes are a dang party. I loved my 2001 yz125, even though it seized on me. I fixed it and traded it for an 02 yz250f. The strong bottom end pull is one of my favorite feelings. I was kinda an amateur at riding 2 strokes, so I would slide out if the power band caught me by surprise. I have less accidents on my 250, but it still can do more than my 125 could.

It seems like we tend to agree on things like the 250f post. My 02 yz125 is so much fun, you really do have to get used to the powerband though. I like yamaha the most and really hope that I can pick up a yz250fx sometime in the future.

• Like 1

lately I'm going to be practicing on my sisters yz250 while she's at college on my track and local trails.

I've ridden my friends kx 125 and my cousins kx 85 before but this is going to be a lot of time spent on the 250. This will make or break the decision on a 125.

• Like 1

lately I'm going to be practicing on my sisters yz250 while she's at college on my track and local trails.

I've ridden my friends kx 125 and my cousins kx 85 before but this is going to be a lot of time spent on the 250. This will make or break the decision on a 125.

I apologize for taking so long to respond, but a 250 2 stroke is a great package for a bike! Their great on the trails, great on the track, reliable, cheap, the list goes on and on. If your going to be practicing on a 250 2 stroke, id say get one of those bad boys. Listen to me, a 250 two stroke WILL last longer rebuild wise than a 250f. I'm not bashing on the 250f's here, I have one and love it to death. In my opinion though, a 250 2 stroke (specifically yz250) are the "perfect" do it all bike. Buy alot of 10w-40, amsoil dominator, keep your filters cleaned, and keep a spare top end around and you have one of the best bikes ever produced.

• Like 1

I apologize for taking so long to respond, but a 250 2 stroke is a great package for a bike! Their great on the trails, great on the track, reliable, cheap, the list goes on and on. If your going to be practicing on a 250 2 stroke, id say get one of those bad boys. Listen to me, a 250 two stroke WILL last longer rebuild wise than a 250f. I'm not bashing on the 250f's here, I have one and love it to death. In my opinion though, a 250 2 stroke (specifically yz250) are the "perfect" do it all bike. Buy alot of 10w-40, amsoil dominator, keep your filters cleaned, and keep a spare top end around and you have one of the best bikes ever produced.

Awesome thanks buddy!
  • Like 1