Clutch basket washer - lost

I'm rebuilding my XR400 and it seems it's either never had the washer that goes between the inner and outer clutch basket, or I've lost it (doubtful as everything has been labelled and boxed up).

I've tried some Honda suppliers and they're out of stock for this part.

Does anyone know what size washer this is so I can pick one up from a hardware store? (assuming it's nothing fancy...)

Number 12 in this pic:

KCY4E0700A.gif

I don't doubt local suppliers don't have it. You'll need to order it online from some place like Rocky Mountain. They show to have them in stock.

Without having one in hand to measure , I couldn't give you its dimensions.

I'm in the UK so would need to find somewhere over here, and with xmas coming soon it could take a while with postage.

Would the clutch work ok without it? I'm not going to put it back together without it, but I'm wondering if I have actually lost it or not. The inner clutch hub seems to grind on the outer basket without the washer so I can only assume it had the washer before I stripped it down.

Maybe I could take both clutch parts to a shop and see if one fits?

When you took the inner hub off, the washer might have been stuck to the back of it and you didn't notice. Wouldn't be hard then to lose it if you didn't know to be looking for it.

Is there any sign wear or discoloration where the washer would sit to indicate that one has been there?

Did it look like your clutch assembly had been removed before?

I would not reassemble things without the washer. A regular fender type washer won't work. If I remember right, the difference between the washers inner and outer diameter is only, like, 4-5mm. And a thickness of around 3mm. Not your run of the mill washer.