Sign in to follow this  

What would you be keeping an eye out for?

I've been riding dual sports for a bit. I prefer single track and technical riding to just cruising logging roads and the like. I have a '07 DRZ-S that I was riding, and I was actually looking for a smaller bike when I came across a XR650R I thought I just had to have. So, the DRZ is for sale because it is basically a XRR with less power (a lot less), and I still need a smaller bike. I would most likely like to get what ever I get plated, bt that's not a prime concern. Not to ride as a dual sport; but, just to be legal (even if only barely so) for connecting trails. I'm looking for something in the year range of '96-06' and about $2500 max. Of course, a slightly newer one may come into price range, but the further below my max, the better (I know, when is it not) to help ease the buying pain (for me and my wife). I've nailed down what 4-strokes I would be interested in. However, I'm seriously considering a 2-stroke, and that's where I'm encountering the problem of knowing what models are designed for my riding preference, which emphasizes slow technical riding, over wide-open GNCC-style cross-country or motocross tracks. My son has a CR250R that the previous owner used for hare scrambles, and I know others do so as well. But, it is not at all suited for low-speed lugging or my style of riding in general. I had an '84 IT175 way back when that was great for trails and hills compared to friends YZs and RMs of the day. But, I want something much newer than that. As far as I can tell, a KDX would fit the bill. But, good examples of them any where around here are as rare as hen's teeth. What other Japanese 2-strokes fit this category? Also, are there any appropriate Euro bikes that fit the bill and wont break the bank on maintenance cost?

Any information or ideas will be appreciated

Ktm 200,250 or 300 exc ,xcw or xc

Not mxc or sx.

Kdx is cheap here. Easy to find too. To heavy and squishy more some people.

Ktm 200,250 or 300 exc ,xcw or xc

Not mxc or sx.

Kdx is cheap here. Easy to find too. To heavy and squishy more some people.

Ok, thanks. So, I'm assuming the "M" and "S" are the keys to identifying KTM's motocross-oriented models?

Mxc has tight tranny like sx. Sx is mx tuning/ignition.

Xc is a hybrid tranny. Semi wide. Great setup for offroad.

Exc and xcw wide ratio.

• Like 1

a xr650r is not ideal for small people...i.e under say 250 pounds with lots of experience.

very reliable bike but heavy and gob's of torque.

fun on wide,open trails..a handful on tight stuff.

I'm using the XR for my every day ride and more open trail bike. I'm looking to pick up a smaller bike for the technical stuff

• Like 1

I'm using the XR for my every day ride and more open trail bike. I'm looking to pick up a smaller bike for the technical stuff

I think a YZ250 would be a good choice.  But you'd have to put a lighting coil & headlight on it.

It's a pretty easy thing to do, did it to my CR250 & loved it !  👍