Sign in to follow this  

1994 kdx200 possible supermoto

Ok so I'm new to the supermotos, but I've got a 1994 Kawasaki kdx200 2 stroke and I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to try and make it a tard. And if its not, how should I go about it.

Edited by kingbishop92

If you have a title, go for it. I don't know about the specifics but your best bet is to register as a custom I think.

Some people will say you can't ride a 2 stroke on the road because they're not ment to be run at a constant speed for long time. This question is a touchy subject... But the fact is that it's and engine non the less and it will do what you tell it.

I own a '97 kdx220, when I ride I ride like anybody else but when decelerating down a hill I pull clutch to let the engine run at idle rpm. Since the lubrication oil is mixed with the gas the engine will not have enough oil when you close the throttle while the transmission is still spinning the engine at a high rpm, plus there is less air flowing through the cylinder but again the parts are moving at full speed and friction is generating full heat, no problem if oil is present but huge problem if not. Under normal riding the higher the engine revs the more oil you're also adding. So just don't run the thing wide open for ten miles then snap the gas shut and engine brake! Notice how the engine does intact act like a break? Well all that stopping energy is energy transferred into wearing out your engine. That's why if you use your breaks the pads wear down (relatively quickly at that). So just use the breaks to stop and the engine to go.

Enough if my ranting, anybody with basic internal combustion engine knowledge should know the above. You're also going to need dot approved street tires. If it were me I'd just get a second set of rims so you can change from strictly street to strictly dirt in just a few mins. The stock headlight should work but I think the brake light will have to be connected to the brake so it turns on accordingly. The add turn signals (try eBay for a kit or used assembly from another bike).

Stiffer forks are a most on the kdx for dual sport, when I slam to a stop on the road I nearly bottom out my forks just bc it's a motorcycle and they can stop so fast but you never have adequate traction on dirt for max stopping power so it doesn't matter for most riders.

In general the kdx would be sick on the road, if it were me I'd dual sport a 220 before the 200 and on either use a torque pipe. However, i think it will only be good for bombing around town, not anything over 20 miles because you'd be pinned wide open on the highway, and you'd have to either carry oil to mix or run cheap gas station oil, and it's tough to find non ethanol 91 (not that a kdx needs it, I just prefer quality, real gasoline).

Congrats if you do decide to tackle this project.