YZ250 build for desert

Looking to pick up an YZ250, 07-08 or newer.  Looking for the best chassis from 07 to present.  I am looking for high speed stability, mainly.  Plan on having suspension done and possible engine mods if I need more there.

Just wondering what year/s would be a good pick?

Does the larger brake caliper translate into a better brake/ better modulation?

Does the larger brake caliper translate into a better brake/ better modulation?

You can run Honda CRF pads on the 07 caliper. Noticeable improvement imo
  • Like 1

Frame is same 06-2016 no?

You might consider the 04 for the desert. It was last year of steel frame. Steel frame is better for off road imo. (Why ktm's still have steel frames)

Aluminum is too stiff for high speed desert. I have an 06 and an 02 and the difference is very noticeable.

-E

Yep, a steel frame is oh so sexy. And you can do the SSS swap no problem if that floats your boat!

just came off a steel frame. 98 KTM. No complaints there. Had an 08 Honda 450, could never get used to the chassis, but the engine was the best I ever rode.

SSS started with what year?

Edited by bigbore2

2006+ for the SSS forks

some earlier model years (06-13 ?) will have the Titanium rear shock spring, newer YZ have a traditional steel spring.

Edited by mlatour

After riding a 98 ktm and then an 08 crf450 an 04 steel frame yz250 with properly sprung 48mm OC forks would feel like an amazing bike! Sss forks are not the end all search to forks imo. My 46mm OC's worked waaaayyyy better for off road than any versions of my sss forks. Now on a mx track...totally different story. I have an aluminum framed 06 with sss for that. Works much better than steel and OC.

• Like 1

Been riding a 05 WR450F for the last couple years, but always rode 2-strokes since the early 70's. Decided the 450 is to heavy and bulky for me and never really fell in love with it anyway.

Currently I'm setting up an 05 YZ250 to replace it. I've giving up desert racing and just play ride now, but I appreciate a bike that works well.

So far I added a 9oz flywheel weight, FMF gnarly pipe and a FMF Stealth S/A, Rekluse Z-Start Pro clutch, IMS tank, ESP suspension revalve, 18" rear wheel, GPR Stabilizer and Kenda Washougal tires front and rear.

I'm going ride it next weekend for the first time. I'll decide then if I'll need to do a EG295cc kit. Not that I think I'll need more power,

I just want to be able to lug around on it.

Anyway, that's my plan for a desert scooter.

• Like 1

All you need is the wr tranny and 14/46 gearing and that's a great desert bike...to race or just play ride.

All you need is the wr tranny and 14/46 gearing and that's a great desert bike...to race or just play ride.

I just might have to try the 14/46. I love the 48 with Yz or WR tranny, but I see alot of people (unless it's just you commenting all the time and I am senile <🤣 ). So, maybe this new build on my bike I will throw that on.  

Yeah 48 is ok if you don't have wr 1st. 46 is just a tiny bit tall for yz1st. But I liked it better than 48 even having the rekluse abusing the clutch. But with wr 1st 46 is best of both worlds. Good 1st and awesome 5th gearing.

Thanx for the comments, as usual ,very good info. The search begins for an 04 bike, not to beat up hopefully.

On my KTM SX, I had 14/40 gearing. I still could have used a little more speed, but it was getting close. That was a close ratio tranny. but it still trail rode just fine with the 14/40.

Any of the 250 engine years stand out over the others?

Mmmmmmm, titanium spring, that sounds yummy.

No engine stand out except the one you build or have built from bottom to top. 04 bike will get you 48mm forks, but if you are going to change them, 02, 03 fit just as nice.

The motors throughout the years are super close.

2011+ have a slight compression change to reduce detonation.

2003+ have a lower second gear

2002+ the kickstarter shafts are smaller. Some people have broken them.

The newer you find, the less likely youll need to buy clutch parts, shift forks and gears.

• Like 2

thanx for the info. I will probably get an 04 with the 48 forks. build the engine, suspension and ergos to fit as I am 6'2". something that old would be cheap to buy. under 2000 for sure.

• Like 1