Are you short and ride a 250 2T?

Just looking for advice. I posted a similar question on another thread (that I accidentally hijacked) but am looking for real life experiences.

I'm 5'3" with 28" inseam. I ride exclusively trails and smallish hill climbs. But the better I get in the skill department, I find myself searching for more technical/treacherous, like muddy climbs with rocks and roots/limbs. I got bored of the smaller bikes that fit me. Now on a YZ125. I changed the gearing with 1 down in front and 2 up in back. But my style necessitates more power. I still have to wring the 125's neck to get up some stuff. 4T is not an option. They're just boring to me (at least the 250F I rode).

In a trail situation, is the 20-25 lb weight difference very noticeable with short legs? I find that I fall more often now that I'm on the tall 125, but I think I could have got out of some of those situations with more low end power. Sometimes, though, it's just because the bike is so much taller than my KX100. I'm a pretty tough little guy. I can pick my 450 lb street bike off the ground by myself (don't ask me how I know!) but on hills, between trees, upside down in the mud, that little 125 feels like it weighs almost as much as my Triumph.

So are any of you short and opted for the 250 over the 125? In the woods, those few extra pounds might translate to a LOT of weight. I don't really have an opportunity to borrow a friend's bike, since no one has anything bigger than a 125 2T. So I was hoping someone here might have had a similar experience and could enlighten me.

On the other thread, someone suggested a Beta 300 X Trainer. I would LOVE to own that bike. But I'd also have to sell a kidney to buy it. YZ and KX250's are more along my price range (and maintenance costs, since they and more plentiful and parts cheaper).

Thoughts and suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur

Sell the kidney!……… No; just kidding, though the beta is close to being worth it.

I’m 56yr old, 5’2” , 140 +/- lbs, and know well the struggle of being an undersized adult in the world of dirt biking.... When it comes to just trail riding have always favored a 250, trimmed the seat, made suspension adjustments or the like to get them down to a bearable 36” or under seat hight. Yes, cutting down on the suspension may be detrimental, but we’re talking trail riding “not GNCC racing”. The 250 advantage / benefit? For one, I can be more ‘lazy’ in my riding, which sounds bad in a way, but lazy=saved energy = more miles and seat time at something enjoyable.

If a 2T YZ or KX suits your fancy, don’t fret making the needed adjustments to make it work for you. A used YZ or KX at the rite price can give ya some leeway for a shop build suspension to fit, heavier flywheel and such. 

Best of fortune

Dave

Thanks so much, Dave! Haha your post is almost word-for-word what I wanted to hear! I want a 250 so bad (or a 300 and keep the kidney) but I was worried someone would tell me those extra lbs would ruin my experience.

I honestly assumed that my experience would be what yours was. I have just been worried that I would encounter something unforeseen. But I trust someone who knows and feels my pain. And regarding the lazy thought? Yeah, you might be right, and that doesn't bother me either. But sometimes, in those creeping in 1st gear situations, starting from a dead stop on a hill with a rock or roots only inches from your front tire, that extra bottom end has become a virtual necessity for me.

Now I've got my "permission". ?

Btw have you ever tried lowering links? Some people recommend against them, but as you say, in this application the extra suspension travel might not be necessary. As it is, the Beta has very soft suspension for trail riding, aiding in traction. So I'm hoping my 130 lbs should give me a lot of leeway in mods, be it softer spring preload or lowering.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur

No haven’t gone with a lowering link on any of my bikes yet….. though have done such as trimming seats, changing rear shocks, raising forks in the triple clamps and adding in lowering spaces, and using lower profile rear tires. All of which may be detrimental to handling and comfort, but all the high tech long suspension out there is not doing me any good when make that sharp switchback left-hander and look up the side of a mountain trail thats strewn with foot-n-half high root step-ups, rocks and all that kind of business and can’t get a foot down to ground level to dabble a foot. Gram Jarvis I’m not and it can get pretty ugly and exhausting stalling out on the steep side of a mountain and getting restarted.

Bear in mind, yes the torque of a 250 does get me out of trouble over smaller displacement bikes, however if your out to go XZ / KX aka motocross bike and use it in the woods, power delivery can be an issue and likely as not something will be needed to slow down the throttle response such as, heavier flywheel, throttle tube, power valve, jetting adjustment.

I thought I might want an X trainer until I saw the weight. 260ish is a light 450f

Dirt Bike mag…..claimed weight on the 300XT no fuel = 226 lbs.

not at all. I saw a test somewhere with it and the freeride. It claimed much more.

I maybe confusing it with a Gas Gas. I was looking at one local for sale. Oops.

That's very possible. A local listing is selling a nice, adult ridden GG 250 for only $1500. Beautiful condition. Then I looked up the specs. Around 50 lbs heavier than the 250 Japanese bikes. Even if I were tall, there ain't no way I'd be riding that with all the other choices out there.

Most reports I've read put the XT at under 220lbs. And some of the YouTube videos show guys looking for excuses to just throw it around, popping up the front and walking around with it on the back wheel. A friend, with whom I've never ridden, has one and he loves it. He's maybe an inch taller than me and about the same weight. He also goes through bikes like I do underwear. I might wait him out till he tires of it and moves on. In the meantime, it's looking like a YZ or KX250. I know nothing of the KDX's only because I NEVER see and never have seen one for sell. Nor have I even seen one face-to-face. But at around 240lbs dry, they like the GG seem a little beyond my capabilities too.

And thanks again Dave. Definitely a lot of options. I do my own work, so I'll have to do a lot more homework via TT before I start modding it. I'll ride it a bit first to see where it's lacking for my needs, then adjust accordingly.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur

Hit the gym and the extra weight wont be a problem ? all kidding aside I'm 5'6'' and I'm moving up to a 250 and I'm definitely going to only be able to stand on one leg. So I've been practicing my stopping on one leg and of course my favored leg is the one with my bad knee.

Well, I got the KX250 and I couldn't be happier...

I had a thread going in the KX section with my little rundown of the bike, so I won't belabor it over here. Here's a link if interested:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1165888-does-this-seem-steep-or-fair-kx250/?p=12831681

Thanks for everyone's help and experiences . This forum really helped me decide.

I have a buddy who rides a non lowered 200 xcw 5'4" is an A rider, it's technique.

This is true. But where I ride, you WILL have to put your feet down, or pick up the bike, or have to drag it back down a hill and give it another go at some point. No matter how good your technique is. That's where my concern was.

I've only done one ride so far in the mine behind my house. Winter has finally hit here, so I'm on a short break until another warm spell. But the suspension really needs adjustment. I think I'll l be fine once I work that out. The thing feels like I'm riding on a rock! But very manageable for me.