Sign in to follow this  

Anyone put a lectron carb on their 250x?

I just saw on the Dirt bike channel on youtube his review of one, albeit for a 300 2t; it still sounds intriguing. I was curious about them as well but wondered how our bikes would function and power delivery with out an AP on the carb (or maybe it has one just didn't notice it). I was actually planning on calling them at the beginning of the year. It seems straight forward, order the same size carb 37mm?, select the right plunger and dial in for your starting area and rip away. From what I HAVE read, everyone seems to love them when they work properly 

Years ago I used a Lectron  with success on a 2T.

An AP is not needed if the jetting is rich enough but it will not have the throttle response of a properly setup FCR carb. The FCR  with proper jetting almost like EFI.

So you will lose throttle response without a AP.

That can be good or bad depending on the terrain you ride and what you are use to.

My friend and I have same make Trials bikes with the same chassis except for one is a 2T with typical 2T carb, the other a 4T with EFI.  Throttle response is very different between the two bikes; the 2T is smoother, the 4T is immediate. We both agree that for our Trials skill level the 2T is a better bike for Trials type riding, but we prefer the 4T for trail riding. 🤦

Although he says the EFI throttle response makes the bike difficult to ride when he is tired.

My X has the CCC mods and JD jetting, but for tight gnarly low traction trail riding I detune my X to soften throttle response by disconnecting the TPS and keeping the pink wire connected. Might not need that if I still had stock jetting.  

My point is a stock jetted X will have softer throttle response than with the CCC mods, but can still be too much for some situations.

I've owned a bunch of XRs and they do not have APs and sometimes bogging can be an issue.

So my take on it is the following in terms of throttle response, softest to most:

Lectron, or other  no AP carb, will be the softest

Stock jetted X.

Rejetted X.

EFI. (EFI can be tuned for any kind of throttle response if the OEMs would allow access to the code)

Finally the ignition system has an impact on throttle response and power delivery; the pink wire selects ignition maps (trail vs track),  and the TPS controls part throttle ignition lead.

My choice for a FCR alternative would be EFI, not Lectron.

Do note that Lectron has a model specific to 4 strokes.

Note sure what the difference is, but unless you've tried one on a 4, you can't go by past experience on a 2 necessarily.

Jim.

I agree and it will probably work as intended, but my comments were more focused on AP, or lack of one, and the impact on throttle response.

I like the throttle response of EFI but as I noted for some situations less may be better.

My Lectron was on a much modded 370 Pursang engine in a Frontera chassis that I used for Enduros and it was sweet because it ran so good down low, and would still run 70mph on the highway. 

Does anyone foresee issues with fitting? The Lectron is a top-side pull carb I believe, where's our FCR is side-pull. I haven't looked closely, but I know there isn't much space above the carb in the X. Be good to hear what others think.

As far as carbs go the FVR is a very big carb, the Lectron not so much.  Dimensions are avail online from carb importers/distributors such as JetRUs, etc. Lectron website should also have dimensions.

theres a guy on youtube running a drz with a lectron carb i saw it about 6months ago