Sign in to follow this  

30 hours, should I check my valves

I have an 06 crf450r, I bought it for $2000 with 18 hours on it and have scince put on another 12 trouble free hours with regular oil and filter changes, the bike still starts within 3 kicks every time, idles and runs awesome and smooth, do i need to check and adjust my valves, just wondering because I have a ride in 10 days where I could potentially put on another 8 hours and I dont need it blowing up on me, thoughts?

I have an 06 crf450r, I bought it for $2000 with 18 hours on it and have scince put on another 12 trouble free hours with regular oil and filter changes, the bike still starts within 3 kicks every time, idles and runs awesome and smooth, do i need to check and adjust my valves, just wondering because I have a ride in 10 days where I could potentially put on another 8 hours and I dont need it blowing up on me, thoughts?

You can check them but its not really going to help you without a base line. If you do check them write down your findings for future reference.

One they start to move there basically no good at that point. And will require adjustment every couple of hours. They should be changed out.

If your bike is running the way you describe, it sounds like your still good.

The less you open the engine up the better off you are.checking valves is really kind of pointless. The bike will let you know when they tighten up and once they do start to move its time for new valves anyway so what's the point of checking valves? I check mine at each piston change and that's it. I also stay off the rev limiter and my valves will last just as long as the crank does.

• Like 2

Hi guys . I have n 06 I bought used a year ago. The bike runs and starts great. I have run her 37hrs . I decided to Check the valve clearances .intakes right .005 left .005 doesn't quite fit ..004 fits with almost no resistance. What do you guys think?

The less you open the engine up the better off you are.checking valves is really kind of pointless. The bike will let you know when they tighten up and once they do start to move its time for new valves anyway so what's the point of checking valves? I check mine at each piston change and that's it. I also stay off the rev limiter and my valves will last just as long as the crank does.

This ^.

This ^.

I do run the engine at high rpms unless I'm in tight stuff. I only weigh 64kg so I found the best way to ride it is wfo that way I can keep the wheel spinning enough that the front won't come up, but I seldom hit the limiter

I do run the engine at high rpms unless I'm in tight stuff. I only weigh 64kg so I found the best way to ride it is wfo that way I can keep the wheel spinning enough that the front won't come up, but I seldom hit the limiter

I'm not telling you how to ride....but if you put a 14 tooth on the front it won't wheelie out of control, you will get way better traction, you can get on the gas earlier in corners without and rear end drama and you will be 2000 rpm lower going 14mph faster. I run 14/50 for smaller tracks and 14/48 for fast tracks. If you go with a higher gearing you will have more control, more fun and in a long straight shift less and be faster. Just my .02
  • Like 1

13/50 is pretty good gearing. I switched to 13/51 for woods works and it works great. It allows me to stay in 2nd and 3rd most of the time

A +9oz or larger flywheel will make the bike much easier to ride and more tractable.

13/50 is pretty good gearing. I switched to 13/51 for woods works and it works great. It allows me to stay in 2nd and 3rd most of the time

I run a 13 front and 50 rear, but want to switch to a 14 because it tops out too quick. As an afterthought, anyone know how to get rid of that annoying rattle my bike makes at low speeds? I heard it is common on early crfs

I run a 13 front and 50 rear, but want to switch to a 14 because it tops out too quick. As an afterthought, anyone know how to get rid of that annoying rattle my bike makes at low speeds? I heard it is common on early crfs

what kind of riding do you do that 75mph is too slow?

14/48 is good but first is a lil to high. I believe 14/49 or 50 would be sweet

yep. I have a 14/49 on now too.

It won't do 75mph, it hits the limiter at 105kph

Oh my bad. So what kind of riding do you do where you are running 65 mph? Aside from desert riding or street riding I can't imagine needing to go any faster. Especially as bad as the Hondas handle at high speeds.

Oh my bad. So what kind of riding do you do where you are running 65 mph? Aside from desert riding or street riding I can't imagine needing to go any faster. Especially as bad as the Hondas handle at high speeds.

its not about top end speed, its about more hookup and making the bottom end smoother all the while holding a higher speed to increase momentum and stability in corners as well as keeping the meat of the powerband at a higher mph so while guys with lower gearing are shifting 20 feet before a turn starts you can milk the gear you're in. Faster riders typically will say corner speed is where the race is won. Higher gearing will take the wheelspin/fun factor out of the equation but will allow you to be on the gas harder and go faster through the corners. Momentum riders keep high gearing, stop then turn type of riding needs the lower gearing in order to accelerate faster to make up for momentum deficiency.
  • Like 1