Sign in to follow this  

Clutch switch

Last week I replaced my left hand switch housing with one from K&S. The stocker has the horn and turn signal controls different from every other bike I own, or have owned.

K&S is great, includes a passing trigger, and a switch to turn off the headlight. Only problem is no wires in the kit for the clutch switch. I left them off. Now that means the bike must be in neutral to start. I dont like that.

The switch is a momentary closed. the circuit is closed when you pull the clutch in.

What would happpen if i shorted the two clutch wires together, making the system think the clutch is always in? anything bad?

If you use your starter button to kill you headlight to warn people like I do, with the switch shorted your starter will engage while driving, possibly over rev it or damage it. You could also find that you forget it's not in neutral and the bike will lunge forward. Not to bad if you are on it but will knock it over if it's on the stand and you start it standing next to it. I do this on cold mornings but always check my neutral light. My clutch switch is old, 3 years 50k+ miles so it does not always make when I pull it. Some times I have to cycle the clutch 2-3 times before it makes contact, so I am almost at your problem, and I will probably just short it out and use my high beam to flash people,

I've never thought about using the starter button to kill the headlight as a warning. I just flash the brights. easier now with the trigger.

I've shorted the green/red and green/orange clutch wires at the harness behind the headlight. 

I always check for the neutral light also, but if I'm on a trail, I'd likke to be able to stay in gear to start it.. i pull in the clutch no matter what anyway.