Sign in to follow this  

KLX140 - Oil change questions

Hey just bought a used 2014 KLX140L for my daughter.  It did not come with a maunual so I've got a couple of quick questions so we can go ride before I get the manual next week.  What oil is needed for the bike, conventional motor oil or?  What oil are you guys running?  How do you check the oil level with the dipstick, do you screw it in all the way and then check or just in/out?  Thanks for any info you can share.  JW

Pretty sure this is obvious but trying to figure out if the engine oil and clutch share the same fluid, and if so, does the clutch require a specific oil additive.  That is why I am asking what oil is suggested, thanks.

Check for an online Manual but regular oil is usually best for air cooled bikes. There is only one oil for everything and I'd say 10w 30 or 10w 40 should be fine as long as it doesn't have friction modifier (car oils use this). There is also an oil filter u should replace every 2-3 oil changes

I always recommend a good quality synthetic motor oil. In my case it is Castrol 20W 50. I use to run 10W 40 but after some of the performance upgrades were performed, it was recommended that I go up a notch. In your case I would recommend the 10W 40 in a good quality synthetic. Just guessing on the number of hours and the riding conditions your daughter will experience, you probably will only need to change it once a year. I always felt it best to change the filter along with the oil. Getting a magnetic oil drain plug helps the whole process as well. As far as seating the dipstick , you better check your manual or consult a dealer mechanic that you trust for the answer.    

Engine and clutch share the same oil. I run a good quality 10-40 JASO MA oil in my sister's 140L and have never had an issue. Change the filter every oil change. They are cheap. They are also the same filters that the KLX250/300's use as well so if you already own one of those, then you can buy in bulk.

Dipstick is a remove, wipe and screw back in with bike sitting straight up and down, not on the side stand.