Sign in to follow this  

Is a 250 2t too much coming off an 85

I am 15 looking for a new bike I have rode many 250 4t but never 125 or an 250 but I love the feel and power of 2 stroke. I do most of my riding at the hillsville cories if those are familiar great if not there big hills with lots of trail and a mx track and I like to do a little of everything. I am 15 and weigh 170 and 5.6 ft tall. Would a 125 be able to handle big hills and am I too short for a 250 2 stroke.

I think you would be better off on a 125 for your size. Just gear it down and it should handle hills fine with some good clutch control. You would compromise top speed for down low lugging though.

Most 125s are taller than the 250s. 170 lbs with a few years experience will be fine on a 250 smoker.

• Like 1

I never rode one do they have some bottom end power for climbing and other stuff

Not as good as a 250 or 300 but they'll hold their own in the woods. Lightweight and most say they are their favorite bike when the woods get technical. A blast to ride as well

Have you considered a ktm 150? I had gotten a 2015 ktm 150 sx for my 14 yr old. Took it to a great suspension tech and next thing I knew he was ripping up the pro track. More torque than the 125 but the same light weight. With all the aftermarket stuff available it's a bike that never gets old and can keep up with those 4t.

• Like 1

I came off a kx85 at 16yo to my husky 250. Took about half an hour to get used to it. I miss that kx85 though, it was the most fun bike i've ever ridden. It just couldn't keep up with the bigger bikes.