Sign in to follow this  

Prevent a stolen bike?

Hey guys my uncles bike was just stolen last night and i was wondering if you guys had any tips for preventing a stolen bike, he had it chained up but they cut they chains. Right now i just keep mine in a garage (lift to open, not electric) and i was just trying to get some ideas as to how i can almost ensure it doesnt get stolen

step 1 is lot advertising that you have a bike, especially if you live in the ghetto.

step 2 is not having a shiny anodized show-room quality 4stroke. Get a 2stroke and ride it hard and don't wash it unless you have to, and tweaker are less likely to steal it.

• Like 4

Hey guys my uncles bike was just stolen last night and i was wondering if you guys had any tips for preventing a stolen bike, he had it chained up but they cut they chains. Right now i just keep mine in a garage (lift to open, not electric) and i was just trying to get some ideas as to how i can almost ensure it doesnt get stolen

Locking gate, re-enforced door w 5" screws, slide locks on big door & no exterior handle...

1450995358129.jpg

1450995373618.jpg

1450995388041.jpg

1450995399537.jpg

1450995410434.jpg

1450995418699.jpg

Ya definitely don't advertise that you have it.

Other then that, keep it locked up the best you can and take as many security measures as possible. I have my car parked in my driveway at all times blocking my garage, so even if someone broke into my garage while I was home, they wouldn't be able to get my bike or quad past my car.

Additional chaining even inside your garage might be a little overkill, but it's still an extra precautionary measure which may help depending on where you live.

Loose the stickers on the pickup. Do not drive around town with your bike in the back. Get theft insurance, enough to cover replacement not just 'used value'. Any one that asks if you ride say no, bike was stolen already.

Non stop on Facebook is the stolen bike posting. I really do think that social media is making it easier for bikes to get stolen.

It's not just in the city as they are getting taken in really off the beaten path area's.

It's like how to find the bike's and know when nobody is around. Just seams to easy regardless of locks,doors, dog's and the rest.

• Like 1

Non stop on Facebook is the stolen bike posting. I really do think that social media is making it easier for bikes to get stolen.

It's not just in the city as they are getting taken in really off the beaten path area's.

It's like how to find the bike's and know when nobody is around. Just seams to easy regardless of locks,doors, dog's and the rest.

yeah buddy of mine just got a bike and he posted it on Facebook. Luckily he doesn't keep it at his house.

step 1 is lot advertising that you have a bike, especially if you live in the ghetto.

step 2 is not having a shiny anodized show-room quality 4stroke. Get a 2stroke and ride it hard and don't wash it unless you have to, and tweaker are less likely to steal it.

Ya definitely don't advertise that you have it.

Other then that, keep it locked up the best you can and take as many security measures as possible. I have my car parked in my driveway at all times blocking my garage, so even if someone broke into my garage while I was home, they wouldn't be able to get my bike or quad past my car.

Additional chaining even inside your garage might be a little overkill, but it's still an extra precautionary measure which may help depending on where you live.

Loose the stickers on the pickup. Do not drive around town with your bike in the back. Get theft insurance, enough to cover replacement not just 'used value'. Any one that asks if you ride say no, bike was stolen already.

Absolutely number One. As these post state the best security is secrecy.  

All thefts occur because the thief knows you have stuff he wants.

I never leave my bike in the bed of my PU outside of its garage. I always keep my garage door closed except for ingress/egress with the vehicles. 

And just in case I have insurance on my bikes.

• Like 1

You can't prevent a theft. You can do things to deter. Just get good insurance and don't worry about bad things that might happen. Worst case scenario, you get a new bike.

• Like 2

1. Keep it hidden: Don't see it, won't steal it.

2. Make it hard: Lock bike, lock doors

3. Make it risky: Big dogs. Owner with guns. Well lighted area.

4. Make it loud: Alarm room. Alarm bikes. If they get touched, they make noise.

5. Make it easy to find: This one is hard, but you can install a battery operated tracker.