Sign in to follow this  

1999 KX250 Build

This is going to be my build thread for the kx250. I purchased it as a second project bike to ride while I finish my crf but instead I decided to just start working on it since I found some underlying issues. My crf I didn't do a build thread on and instead video taped updates for youtube. First order of business was to replace the spray painted ufo plastic with fresh ones. I went polysport this time since they didn't make an acerbis with black number plates and purchased a 2014 kxf front fender. I also ordered new spring and pin kits for the footpegs because they were extremely shot. I started stripping the bike down and found the exhaust was smashed. There was also alot of dried up joints so I will be replacing the bearings and seals as I go. The rear suspension could also be moved up and down by hand. I believe its the links and swingarm needing to be fixed and not the shock itself but I'm going to rebuild the shock while I'm at it. When I pulled the carb to clean and noticed what I believe is air filter oil (blue clear like gatorade) and some missing bolts so that will be next.  So far I pulled the rear frame, links and rear suspension. This is where it will halt for two or so weeks so I can get the few remaining things to have my crf up and running so I have a rideable bike. I will also repaint the frame one solid green since it's the original paint job the color varies depending on light exposure  :wacko:

00X0X_42kVmn02uBT_600x450.jpg

20151223_183831.jpeg

20151224_155130.jpeg

20151224_155353.jpeg

Edited by Offroad94
  • Like 1

Update for today, pulled apart the carb and it needed a good cleaning. Ordering a 2000 kx 250 carb rebuild kit hoping it is compatible. I needed new gaskets and new jets. Have to get screws for the cap too since it was missing 2 of the 4. Threw out the chain and exhaust pipe both were fried. The chain was so warn that it was digging into the swingarm so I hope that when I put in the new bushing that they fit properly. Also cleaned the linkage and found that one piece of the link was missing its bushings completely and was dented into an oval so I will need a new link. From there I want to also find out if I should replace the reed since the intake boot needs to be replaced from cracking anyway.

• Like 1

I am in the same boat as you. I also have picked up a 1999 kx 250 as a winter project. I wont be able to start mine for a couple more weeks but look forward to reading your post and comparing info on the build. The bike I bought was in a pile a parts and engine already torn down and crank removed. I also wanted to find someone that had fitted the newer front fender and number plate. look forward to seeing some pics when its all done. Build on!