Sign in to follow this  

2003 yz125 isnt grabbing anything in tranny

hi i have a 2003 yz125. today i thought i would enjoy this unseasonably warm Christmas eve with some dirt bike riding. so where i ride it is sand based soil so sometimes it can be hard on the tranny. i am always careful to be easy on it as i dont want to break it. so today i was out riding and i was going for about 150 min straight until i went do down shift and the shifter went all the way down to the frame. so i quick killed the bike and moved the shifter with my hand and it isnt grabbing anything in the tranny. i can move it all the way down to the frame and all the way half way up the ingition cover. What broke in the tranny? i hate dealing with tranny's and dont know much about them so i would apreciate some help. Merry Christmas!

Hi i have a 2003 yz125. Yesterday i thought that i would enjoy this unseasonably warm weather and do some riding. About 15min in i went do down shift and the shifter went all the way down to the frame. So i quick killed the bike and moved the shifter with my hand and it goes all the way half way up the ignigion cover and all the way down to the frame. What broke in the tranny?

Only some dis-assembly and inspection can determine exactly what broke,

if you are doing the work yourself, a proper service manual is the first tool you will need.

If you are un-familiar with shift mechanisms / transmission assemblies,

take plenty of pictures and notes as you methodically dis-assemble each component.

Edited by mlatour

Sounds like the shaft is broken. You will ned to pull the outer case off to figure it all out. 

Sounds like the star has come loose / off the shift drum

What is a shift drum

what is a shif drum

on my 2003 yz125 i was riding and i went to shift and the shifter went all the way down to the frame. turns out that the piece on the other end of the shift shaft slipped off the shift drum. why did it do this? what holds it on? how can i prevent this from happening again?

Please post some pictures, pointing to what parts broke.

shift-shaft_bigyau1490b-10_da1b.gif

Edited by mlatour

I believe the side cover actually has a protrusion that holds it on.

Ive seen that bolt (part #8) come loose and #14 bolt loose, as well as a slight bend on the end of the shift shaft where part #9 fits into it.

Hello. I have a 2003 yz125 and the shift drum is totaly stuck. It will not shift. I originaly pulled the engine because the shifter went all the way down to the frame and I need to replace the shift shaft. at first I could shift it by hand but now I can't it is totally stuck. Even when i turn the engine by hand as fast as i can it still wont shift. It doesnt even try. I can get about 1 or 2cm of play in the drum but thats it. Please help me

You already have a few threads going on the same subject, why not continue to post related issues in one of them ?

https://thumpertalk.com/topic/1165737-yz125-shifting-rod/

https://thumpertalk.com/topic/1165503-2003-yz125-isnt-grabbing-anything-in-tranny/

https://thumpertalk.com/topic/1165529-2003-yz125-shifter-not-grabbing/

Have you split the cases yet ?

Your geabox problem is most likely internal, only a complete engine disassembly can determine what items need to be replaced.

Splitting the cases for the 1st time may be a daunting job, but in the meantime you are basicaly just staring at your bike hoping it will fix itself.

BTW you posted you YZ related question in the Suzuki forum.

Edited by mlatour

If the segment comes loose or the knub is worn out you will have shift problems there. Pull that apart and shoot photos, post up.

To tired to read through all your different threads.