Sign in to follow this  

how to inflate air forks

Seems everyone is going to air forks. I know little to nothing about them but have heard some crazy numbers about the pressure they run like upwards of 150psi. my question is how do you get that much pressure in them. your typical Harvey home owner compressor only goes to 120.

Seems everyone is going to air forks. I know little to nothing about them but have heard some crazy numbers about the pressure they run like upwards of 150psi. my question is how do you get that much pressure in them. your typical Harvey home owner compressor only goes to 120.

While the pressure is high the volume is rather small - so if you get the initial 120PSI with your compressor you can go the rest with your handpump. Normally you only completely empty them when doing a service so the chance that a Nitrogen rig for filling shocks is available should be high - you can use that too.

Michael

I read you should not use the compressor on the aer ?

So just did a search on rocky mtn and they have one that goes up to 300psi.....any of the forks run that high?

I don't think your supposed to use an air compressor for any air forks, not only is there a chance of over pressurising them. In an air compressor you have moisture, debris. And you don't want any of that in your forks. Just use the supplied air pump or a bike pump for the initial 150, then fine tune with the digital one!

that is a good point there is some nasty stuff comes out of my compressor when I open the little valve on the bottom. so how often do you need to check the pressure. I know heat would make the pressure go up so do you have to fine tune thru the day say if you set your pressure at 8 in the morning and your second moto is at 3 in the afternoon?

I read you should not use the compressor on the aer ?

Using compressed air, or deflating the fork fast, can create the fork to air lock behind the piston
  • Like 1

that is a good point there is some nasty stuff comes out of my compressor when I open the little valve on the bottom. so how often do you need to check the pressure. I know heat would make the pressure go up so do you have to fine tune thru the day say if you set your pressure at 8 in the morning and your second moto is at 3 in the afternoon?

Yes it does fluctuate, mostly with use or if you have a big temp change from morning to afternoon or if it sits in the sun. I usually just set mine in the morning to whatever I like. then re check later in the afternoon. I keep my bike under a shaded tent so I just set the same pressure in afternoon. But if you check it right after a moto its usually a bit higher, what kinda fork do you have?

To all those advising against using a compressor I'd recommend to update their workshop to minimum standards. Compressed air filters/water separators are neither rocket science nor prohibitively expensive. If your compressed air is so dirty, what would you use it for? Cleaning your engine internals?

Michael

20151226_180655.jpg

I was under the impression filling too fast is a issue ?

I was under the impression filling too fast is a issue ?

Why? You just need to be careful/patient when emptying or take precautions that the fork can't compress while emptying. I mean the fork is operating on compressed air ....

Michael

mxpro83 I don't have air shocks or forks at the moment just trying to educate myself  little bit.

Psf1-2 forks are a lot lower presures, the Showa tac and wp aer are using a lot higher presures.