Sign in to follow this  

DR650 like totally awesome adventure bike transformation vid series

huh, didn't realize there was a page for the old bushpig on thumpertalk.

recently started this series on taking the big girl from woh to go...

from a doughy undersprung clark kent to an adventure bike superman (hopefully).

episode 1: bushbashing the bushpig to establish a baseline.

episode 2a: an overview of the basic power mods to unleash the beast within

when i say it's mean to be totally awesome, i mean the bike itself of course, not the actual vids... these vids will probably be just as dodgy as the enduro training vids so you'll probably wreck yourself and/or your DR650 following this video series. i've set them up on my adventure riding channel here if you want to follow the series. 

Edited by OZ DRZ
  • Like 3

episode 2b: step-by-step instructions for the power mods such as changes to the needle and main jet, fuel/air mixture screw, opening the airbox, the GSXR exhaust mod, drilling the slide etc.

I've watched all of these video's ~ all of them are well done and have their funny / informative moments!

As for suspension, it's a can of worms that mostly depends on how off road capable you need / want your DR to be.  In all cases the shock mods are fairly easy to do ~ just remove it and send it off.  I personally prefer (but haven't done it yet) Race Tech's shock shaft replacement solution.  The forks I'm still thinking about, which is why I haven't done the shock that's because I feel that you need to do them both at the same time.  The cartridge emulators seem like a good idea but I think that if I really want to get crazy then I might as well replace the forks ... decisions decisions.

When can we expect a suspension setup video?

soon. first stage will be the budget mods... stiffer springs and thicker oil front and rear with some basic revalving on the rear. this is definitely a compromise on the forks as the old rod design can't be set up to cope with small fast hits as well as the big ones from jumps etc. 

i think step two will be FFRC will design their own emulators (with the cheap aussie dollar these could be a fair bit cheaper than the usual ones) and rebuild the rear shock internals. 

step 3 they will see if they can redesign the internals of the forks, and probably make a custom shock for the rear. 

there's a pile of do-it-yourself suggestions here: http://dr650.wikia.com/wiki/Suspension

Love your channel.  I bought my Beta 300RR pretty much because of your review vids.  I have been seriously considering getting a true dual sport and the DR650 is at top of the list.  Kato 690 is great but too expensive and bit too hardcore dirt for what I want out of a dual sport.  XR650L is my second choice, but seat height is rather tall.  KLR650 is not even a consideration.  If DR650 is a bushpig, KLR would be a county fair trophy-winning porker.  The only thing holding me back from pulling the DR trigger is the lousy forks.  Rear shock I can always get a whole new replacement (Penske, Ohins, Elka, etc.), but forks I'd be kinda stuck with modding the stock ones.  So far, I've not been impressed with the options.

C'mon now... screw the power mods.  :rant:  Stock engine is already faster than the wobbly legs can handle.  Dive into the suspenders already.

J/K.  😉   Look forward with great interest to the series.

Edited by Volfy

...  If DR650 is a bushpig, KLR would be a county fair trophy-winning porker.......

lol that's a quote if ever i heard one volfy! the forks are improved a lot with 10W fork oil instead of the 5W used from new, and a decent set of springs. add a pair of emulators and they start to behave like modern cartridge forks but i reckon the few guys who sell them are charging way too much... that's why i hope FFRC can invent their own and charge way less. hoping to get back there next week and let them work their magic on the bushpig. 🙂

• Like 1

episode 2c, how to make a mid-pipe if you do the GSXR exhaust mod.

episode 3, a look at the known issues with the bushpig.

episode 4, the first level of suspension mods.

this looks at the budget do-it-yourself mods first and we'll cover the more advanced stuff later.

just a look at some of the bling available at procycle. if you are in the USA then these guys are pretty much a one stop shop for the DR650.

the big problem in australia is the shipping cost, unless you get a big boxful of DR650 stuff. but they now have a new distributor who can ship parts for a flat cost of $10... adventure bike australia. 

When is #5 coming out!

it came out a while ago. just click on the links in any of the vids for the full playlist. or click on the vids below. 

setting up the ergos for the DR650, and some weight reduction tips for the big heavy bushpig 🙂

Lots of good info here mate.

Looking at one of these eventually as a dual purpose bike.

Any more updates?? 

they'll be posted on youtube when they happen. the suspension guys are working on a new type of front fork mod so hopefully get the DR back in a few weeks.

• Like 1

Thanks again mate.

I currently have a 1994 DR350S with a BST 33mm Mikuni and will carefully apply your carby mods to this beast as I believe it will improve it allot.

I already have opened the airbox and have a 140 main jet as per Kientechs web page but will look at the needle taper as it has a full Noleen exhaust which came with the bike so I beleive it needs the needle and spring adjusted to suit.

i made my own steg pegz for the DR650 which were as ugly as sin, awesome to see steg pegz have finally come out for the DR650.

a few quick note on the steg pegz vid above. a few notes. these will still work if you drop your pegs down. but if you drop them down and back you can't quite move the rubber pucks back far enough - hopefully the guys will do a version soon to take care of this.

these are designed to work with a proper set of dirt riding boots. if you ride with short boots then the pucks will just press into your leg and not be much use. and finally you may want more than one rubber puck on each side. i suggest going to a hardware store and getting some big rubber doorstops to experiment with, and if you like the wider setup then get yourself some extra pucks or simply space them out somehow. 

these ARE expensive for what they are. unfortunately the guy still makes these one by one instead of getting them batch produced in china but if you like to stand a lot on the pegs these are well worth it. then if you are on old fella and have any arthritis, tendonitis or other upper body issues they are worth their weight in gold....