Sign in to follow this  

ktm 150 sx owners?

Hello, i will be purchasing a used 2014 ktm 150 sx with 18 hours on it for riding trails and doing a few jumps, how often will i need to rebuild the engine on it and any other maintenance? cheers  

Unless it's been beaten to hell, 18 hours isn't much on that 2014.

now is the time invest in a compression gauge and take a reading as you get the bike.

For your recreational use, by taking readings say every 2-3 months you can keep track of compression loss.

By the time the engine looses 10-15% of the highest reading you got when the engine was fresh, then it's due for a rebuild.

Example: say on a fresh top end you get 185psi, by the time it reaches 160psi it's due.

For repeatable measurements, it's important to always use the same compression gauge and always the same testing/cranking method.

A service manual will have all the necessary maintenance infos.

Unfortunately overlooked by many new bike owners, it's often the most useful tool in the workshop.

Edited by mlatour

It really depends on how hard you ride it and how "serious" you are about it. Ktm will tell you 15-20 hours but that is just so they can run away from warranty. If your bike starts feeling less powerful, easier to kick but harder to turn over, your compression is lower. That's when I personally change mine out. I've heard you can go a few rings on a piston but it really depends on how worn the wear strip is on the piston. If you're past 40 or 50 hours and it starts to feel low in compression, I would check it just to see because a two-stroke is simple to pull apart. Another sign you need a new top end is if you keep fowling good plugs. Now aside from the top end, the rest of the engine should fine for a while. I would check the linkage and swing arm bearings sooner than later too and no later than 50 hours especially if you ride through mud a lot. Also change the stock fork oil out too at as soon as you can because stock oil isn't the best and if you ride through mud it deteriorates your seals and bushings. You will know when it is getting bad if it has a spiky feel to it and blows through the stroke a lot more. With a ktm you have a high quality bike with high quality parts and you will not need to do much to it. Congratulations on your new mint bike!

Should be good at 18 hour's. My 14 went the full race season plus training on off weekends before the compression dropped. Bought it as a dealer demo with unknown hour's.

We have a thread on the KTM fourm.

Yeah I had a 2013 ktm 150 xc and it had over 66 hours on it without any engine work or compression loss and not even a fouled plug

I bought a MY2010 SX150 in april this year. They told me the piston was 9.5 hours old. Right now it's about 19 hrs old, I am gonna put a new piston in this winter just to be safe. Will use intervals of about 25 hrs  think (MX but I am just a starter)

Edited by jakepeewee

Unless it's been beaten to hell, 18 hours isn't much on that 2014.

now is the time invest in a compression gauge and take a reading as you get the bike.

For your recreational use, by taking readings say every 2-3 months you can keep track of compression loss.

By the time the engine looses 10-15% of the highest reading you got when the engine was fresh, then it's due for a rebuild.

Example: say on a fresh top end you get 185psi, by the time it reaches 160psi it's due.

For repeatable measurements, it's important to always use the same compression gauge and always the same testing/cranking method.

A service manual will have all the necessary maintenance infos.

Unfortunately overlooked by many new bike owners, it's often the most useful tool in the workshop.

This. Why would you do a top end just because you are at x hours  unless you are racing and have $$ to burn? Wait until the compression is dropping to that guideline.

Edited by KaToomTime