swingarm bearings regreasing

Hello everybody,

I had been reading alot about the bearings of the CRF not being greased properly, so I wanted to make this post.

I've had to renew the swingarm bearings of my '04 V strom a while back, and it wasn't an easy thing to do. but it had to be done, because it was one big rusty, greasless heap of crud and metal bits. Once I removed the metal cilinders, everything just fell out. It sucked

I did not want this on my CRF 250 L, for obvious reasons.

I have not been easy on this bike.( see pic). I rode it throught knee high mud, rivers, sandy and dusty areas and all through a salty winter. So I did expect a little rust and not alot of grease. When I inspected the bearings, I found them to be in PERFECT condition. No rust at all, enough grease, and no dirt what so ever. I was a little surprised. The bike has 12 000 km on the clock. That should be about 7500 miles.

So even if you ride almost 100% dirt like I do, I would not worry about the bearings too much. But it wont harm to check.

ride it!

Endurofun <a href='https://www.thumpertalk.com/link/click/4521/' rel='nofollow' data-ipsHover-target='https://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=autolink&module=links&controller=content&id=4521' data-ipsHover target='_blank' rel='noopener' data-autoLink>honda</a> crf onderzijde.jpg

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

it helps that these are sealed bearings nowadays ...  ?  I still am a very strong believer in doing a full new bike prep when the bike is new or as soon as possible. 

What type of seals do these bearings have?  Are the the metal "dust" seals or do they have the rubberized covers on the inside and out (designated 2RS)?  Are the main swing arm bearings needle bearing with conical races or ball bearing with seals.  I asked because if they are needle bearings, I just may punch hole on top of them through the swingarm and install grease zerks.  

What type of seals do these bearings have?  Are the the metal "dust" seals or do they have the rubberized covers on the inside and out (designated 2RS)?  Are the main swing arm bearings needle bearing with conical races or ball bearing with seals.  I asked because if they are needle bearings, I just may punch hole on top of them through the swingarm and install grease zerks.  

0_0.png1_0.png

#23   BEARING, NEEDLE (20X26X20) (NTN)

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 1

No kidding, I haven't even covered 1/3 of the CRF250L thread posts, after months. 

I have read every single post ever posted on this forum .... but then again I have been here since the beginning. Most of you people do not know that it was Mental Guru that really got this forum going and he does not even own this bike ... He has a great love of dirt machines and the people that ride them and we are honored to have him !!! 

To MG ...  :cheers:

• Like 1

I have read every single post ever posted on this forum .... but then again I have been here since the beginning. Most of you people do not know that it was Mental Guru that really got this forum going and he does not even own this bike ... He has a great love of dirt machines and the people that ride them and we are honored to have him !!! 

To MG ...  :cheers:

MG is the man.

• Like 1

What type of seals do these bearings have? Are the the metal "dust" seals or do they have the rubberized covers on the inside and out (designated 2RS)? Are the main swing arm bearings needle bearing with conical races or ball bearing with seals. I asked because if they are needle bearings, I just may punch hole on top of them through the swingarm and install grease zerks.

You need to get some of these...

16hjcsi.jpg

34ram51.jpg

34rya92.jpg

They also push all the old dirty grease out, no more removing the needles to clean them

2mo2gqf.jpg

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...