Sign in to follow this  

Thoughts on mounting a Tool bag

So my kid got me a sweet Cruz Tools DMX2 kit for Christmas. Now I'm trying to decide how to best mount it. My first thought is to drill 4 holes in just the orange portion of the back fender and bolt or zip tie the mount pad to the fender. Now I'm wondering if I should go through the underfender too.

The kit is a little on the heavy side if you ask me. 

Anyone else have one of these kits on their bike?

I don't have the same kit but I did buy a moose fender bag. It has metal clips that hook the edges of the fender very well. Bag looks the same as when I googled yours. I would make clips or swap out the bag to avoid drilling.I believe the bag was around $25 from RM atv.

IMG_1403-L.jpg

This is the Wolfman setup I use, it velcros to a piece bolted to the fender and is also includes straps that hold it on.

• Like 2

So my kid got me a sweet Cruz Tools DMX2 kit for Christmas. Now I'm trying to decide how to best mount it. My first thought is to drill 4 holes in just the orange portion of the back fender and bolt or zip tie the mount pad to the fender. Now I'm wondering if I should go through the underfender too.

The kit is a little on the heavy side if you ask me.

Anyone else have one of these kits on their bike?

Got one that is zip tied, one that has straps & clips, & 3 that are bolted on. I favor the bolt on ones.

1451182374235.jpg

1451182390103.jpg

1451182407905.jpg

I drill holes and bolt using fender washers. Carry full set of tools. Rear fender bag, number plate bag, and front fender bag.

1451279985209.jpg

• Like 1

I mounted my moose bag the same way (4 bolts all the way through). I ended up pulling the bag off when I broke the subframe from having too many tools (freak incident I can only conclude it was the tools as it was heavier than it should have been.... but I also noticed the bolt heads were digging into the knobbies when I'd bottom out and the wheel was back in the swingarm depending on the gearing I was using. I ground the heads of the bolts down to about nothing and that worked great for the underside... but then when the subframe tail broke I said screw it and went to a tank bag. Just make sure your bolt heads clear the new knobbies on full compression.

I've tried a couple of the bags. The weight seams to bend the fenders etc. Also the fender bolts got pulled through. Then they just wear. Mark them etc. I just got one of these.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1910/PN-4011-000-000/Klim-Scramble-Pak

I have a couple different bikes and this way I can just grab the bag and wear it

Edited by hadfield4wd

1186975_10203811851375613_80689634745939

This tool kit has a pretty solid selection of emergency repair tools. I think I will ditch the heavy tire spoons for the Motion Pro aluminum trail spoons with the built in wrenches. That will save some weight and give me a couple more needed tools. Probably going with a front fender mounted spare tube bag. That should cover me for my needs.

Doing this was a good chance to pull the under fender off and repair a stripped out threaded insert in the sub frame. Now the rear fender is much sturdier.

• Like 1

At first I didn't want to drill holes in my fender, but finally gave in.  Once you do, it is no big deal.  The holes are covered up by the bag and you soon forget.

I use the Wolfman enduro bag.  I like the way it mounts with the Velcro plate.  It makes it easy to remove the bag.  I can also carry other stuff there, such as a Touratech 2L fuel canister.

But I also had a custom bag made that fits inside the left rear fender.  I put seldom used tools in there to reduce the weight on the fender and reduce the height of the bag.  You can read about it on my blog.