Sign in to follow this  

Looking for upgrade in starter and stator. KTMWORLD said all starters are the same, true?

I read that the upgrade was stronger and faster. I have found a KTM and a Trail Tech, any others that are better?

Was the KTMWORLD guy full of Obama/Clinton/steaming fecal matter? Or am I missing something?

Also looking for a upgraded stator, and cooling fan. Multiple choices in fans, any clear winners or losers?

Experiences and wisdom appreciated by me and I am sure many others.

Thank you.

For a stator upgrade go for the tailtech one not the ktm branded trail tech one.

Starter. I bought an eBay job but the crucial thing is to upgrade the crown wheel etc with the 250 freeride parts. Will start from cold then.

Oh and change all the bushes first.

the starter that came in my 09 turned the engine over like my 1965 VW bug with a 6volt system.

after it died i repleced it with a 2012 starter and now it starts hot, cold, flooded.  what ever.  i also upped the battery to the next higher amperage.

i run the ktm fan.  it bolted on nice, but the temp sensor came on at too high of a temperature, so i wired it to a switch and just turn it on when i'm running hot.

Edited by hawaii500_1999

Loads of us in the UK do this mod...

order these parts and replace the ones on your bike.

Its a direct fit, job took 10mins. Parts are from a freeride and spins the motor quicker. It's also very important to get the gap on the crown wheel perfect, if it's too tight the motor will struggle to turn engine .

55140026200 - Bendix

55140022200 - Intermediate shaft (crown gear)

4 x New bushes

I also bought the 410w starter but opted for a non ktm part on eBay (works fine )

Need to mention that these are same parts that come stock on 2014-2016 exc models as well, but as mentioned earlier gap on crown wheel is essential. you can check my other posts for reference. 

I run the trailtech fan with the temp probe and digital readout, I've tried the KTM hardparts fan but the temp senders tend to go out on them and they are getting thrir readings from the coolant temp in the rad hose so the fan tends to run longer when you turn off the bike.  The TT unit reads right from the radiator so as soon as it's below the threshold the fan shuts off, no extended running also it's adjustable.  Nice unit.

Trailtech for the stator, buy it direct from them and not through the hardparts catalog, there's a harness piece that is sometimes omitted on the hardparts unit that's needed.  Going direct is the way to go.

Starter seems to be covered, I'd add that many of the problems originate from a battery that's not up to the job, holding the button down while a battery struggles to initially get the motor turning shoots excessive current through the brushes and tends to toast them prematurely.  I like to run a LI battery, they've lasted years in the 300 and fire the bike up 100% of the time cold or hot.  On my '15 the kickstart has never been used.    

Edited by RideFreak

I did the crown wheel and bendix upgrade also purchased 410 watt motor off eBay for 92 bucks . Bike has become a button start even cold works great

• Like 1

So, will a 2014 or newer starter motor fit a 2010 300 XCW?  My starter is fried - I'm getting 13.09 volts at the starter connection upon hitting the button so I figure my starter is fried.