Sign in to follow this  

I think I dislocated a rib...

Not sure if the ER or Chiropractor is a better choice?

Doesn't feel very good, sleeping last night could've been better. Just looking for some insight.

Not sure there's much that either can do. The chiropractor can't give you pain meds. I go to mine often, took 3-4 before I found a good one.

I separated a rib a few years ago. I thought for sure it was broken went to get an X-ray and it wasn't. They said then that even if it was there wasn't much they could do about it.

Had my bike land on me a few years back, took a foot peg to my back and thought for sure my sternum was cracked or broke but it wasn't. They said the same thing, not much could be done even if it was.

Sorry for your luck. Try not to cough.. Lol.

• Like 3

Even if it's broken, ER isn't going to do any good.  AFAIK, can't set a rib.  

I have a dislocated rib from a bike crash.  About 2-3 times a year, it'll pop back out for no reason, have to go back to the Chiro to have her pop it back in.  

Or there's the tennis ball trick.  

• Like 2

Doesn't feel very good, sleeping last night could've been better. Just looking for some insight.

That totally sucks! The end result from either may be knowledge if you did actually do it. Past that I have always heard the same that they can not do much. I am a fan of the Chiropractor but damn getting adjusted with a dislocated rib would not be fun. The advantage of the doc is the little happy pills to make some of the pain go away.

Try coughing a LOT. Lets you know you are still alive.

How did you do it?

• Like 1

That totally sucks! The end result from either may be knowledge if you did actually do it. Past that I have always heard the same that they can not do much. I am a fan of the Chiropractor but damn getting adjusted with a dislocated rib would not be fun. The advantage of the doc is the little happy pills to make some of the pain go away.

Try coughing a LOT. Lets you know you are still alive.

How did you do it?

It involved a blonde woman... my wife!!! Edited by LV2POOP
  • Like 4

Is it bothering you in the front or back?  

If you get it put back into place by a chiro, the muscles will calm down and you should be ok in a few days.  The ER will just give you pain meds and cost $$$$.

• Like 1

Heating pad. Lay flat in bed and cross your legs when laying down. And 1000mg of a good anti inflammatory and hour before you jump into bed. The only way I can sleep with a rib or shoulder injury.

Haha. Damn poop. sorry to hear. So at least you know one of the things to never say to her again.

As much as it hurts, it was totally worth it!

• Like 4

I did that a few years ago playing broomball.

A little sore the first day. The second night while in bed I twisted and it Popped! Wow felt like I was stabbed with a knife!

Went to the Doc since the nurse was concerned about a possible punctured lung.

Second time I have broken ribs, NOT fun...

Oh my gosh. Listen to me. I am an expert at crashing, getting knocket out, breaking, dislocating ribs and pucturing lungs.  Call your doctor right now. insist on an appointment with a local sports orethapedic asap.  Longer you wait less they can do.  Dependng on where, when and how you dislocated the rib changes prognosis dramaticly.  One note anything done to really fix it requires surgery, sorry.  Trust me call right now!

Ryan Meke

I had a dislocated rib chiro put it back. It certainly did not tickle after a day or so I was good!