KX250 as a trail bike

I'm looking to pick up another bike to use for single-track, and enduro-style riding in the near future. I'm fairly certain a KDX would be well suited to my riding style; but, they can be hard to come by near me. What I'm wondering is how well suited is a KX for my purposes? My son has a CR250R, and although the previous owner raced enduro on it, it is not really at all suited for the more casual trail riding I do. How does a KX stack up or compare, and, can it's trail manners be conditioned without major modifications? I don't mind some mild mods, and adding the proper trail-readying gear. However, I don't want to have to build the engine to suit. Should I look elsewhere (away from Kawasaki) if a KDX doesn't show up?

Thanks

You can use a KX 250 for the woods. I would only consider purchasing one if I had the money for suspension work in addition to the standard freshening up that comes with a used bike. It may take more than you are willing to do for casual woods riding though. I would hold out for a KDX if I were you. A KTM EXC or XCW may work well for you if you can't find a green bike.

The KX can do it all.  The KDX uses primitive cartridge forks which just don't have the same capability as most late KX forks.  The KX feels lighter and has a lower center of gravity too. 

The KDX does have a lighting output that will easily drive a 35w headlamp.  It also has significantly more fuel capacity.  Between the two, in my opinion the KDX feels like a pig.  It gets the job done but the faster you go the more it pushes back.

• Like 2

I have an 01 that I ride on the woods. I think it works just fine.

I have a 9oz fww, gnarly pipe and a 1st gear from a 98.

It'll go slow or fast. Does everything I need.

The only complaint I had is the stock first gear is kinda ridiculous. It's nearly as tall as 2nd which is why I changed it.

99-01 had the tall first gear.

• Like 1

I'm looking to pick up another bike to use for single-track, and enduro-style riding in the near future. I'm fairly certain a KDX would be well suited to my riding style; but, they can be hard to come by near me. What I'm wondering is how well suited is a KX for my purposes? My son has a CR250R, and although the previous owner raced enduro on it, it is not really at all suited for the more casual trail riding I do. How does a KX stack up or compare, and, can it's trail manners be conditioned without major modifications? I don't mind some mild mods, and adding the proper trail-readying gear. However, I don't want to have to build the engine to suit. Should I look elsewhere (away from Kawasaki) if a KDX doesn't show up?

Thanks

ktm is the brand to look at. the woods bikes they make are very very good, suspension is far ahead of kdx's, parts are everywhere, and the power is nice too. the kdx will CREEEEP through tight sections without any issue, whereas the newer bikes need a recluse to enjoy tight/slow/hard woods. 

if you do find a kdx, have fun, it's a fantastic bike to woods ride ?

ktm is the brand to look at. the woods bikes they make are very very good, suspension is far ahead of kdx's, parts are everywhere, and the power is nice too. the kdx will CREEEEP through tight sections without any issue, whereas the newer bikes need a recluse to enjoy tight/slow/hard woods.

if you do find a kdx, have fun, it's a fantastic bike to woods ride ?

KX250 will creep if you install the 91 to 94 KDX250 w.r. transmission. This is not a kdx 200 or 220 transmission.

Of course you can buy a ktm and be done but I've had expensive bikes before. They are not any more fun to ride than these old green smokers.

• Like 3

The key for making any MX bike, green or otherwise, into a trail/woods bike, is suspension.  Budget for a revalve/respring as needed.  It will be the best money you have ever spent.

If you are riding single track only, I think the KDX is still pretty sweet!  I was riding one last week and I bet I could match woods lap times with my YZs and my KTM.

• Like 1

I have a 2000 kx250 and when I first got it it was a plug fouling pig and was hard to ride on hill climbs and tighter bush . The biggest thing I would do first is jet the carb correctly for your conditions . This made a big difference to how my bike now rides , I have to use a lot less clutch know and it climbs a lot easier. You will be very happy with bike

• Like 1

I owned both the '03 KDX220 and the '03 KX250.  I preferred the power of the KX over the KDX, and the lighter weight.  Suspension is also noticeably better on the KX.  I sold the KDX and kept the KX  for these reasons.  The KDX had the RB head & carb mods as well as gnarly expansion chamber.  I also later installed KX USD forks on the KDX.  The KDX was certainly mellow, and a bit underpowered for  my riding (could be because I ride at elevation).  The KX I have kept and I was happy with that choice I made.  I have a 13 oz FWW on the KX to lessen the hit. I even have a lighting stator on my KX so I  was able to plate it.  I use the KX for single track...single track where I live is mostly hard pack rocky mountains and desert (i.e., not wet woods tight stuff).

Here was my KDX:

WP_20130811_005_zps3e060fb4.jpg

Here's my KX:

02a05dc0.jpg

Edited by AtomicGeo
  • Like 5

I'm riding an 02 KX250 in the Texas woods. 13oz flywheel weight, 12 tooth front, 51 tooth rear. I love it!!!

Saw that you were in TX:

2004 KDX200

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105648&highlight=kdx

Also there has been some great deals on here lately

http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/35/1/Dirt_bike_For_Sale

• Like 1

I'm riding an 02 KX250 in the Texas woods. 13oz flywheel weight, 12 tooth front, 51 tooth rear. I love it!!!

Saw that you were in TX:

2004 KDX200

I was using the same billy goat gearing, but then saw that my 12T front was starting to rub and wear on the engine case.  Do you see that happening?  Consequently I went back to a 13T.

The 99 with a 12T must be a tractor.  I was running 13/51 but I like it better with 14/51 considering the primary and trans ratios. 

The 03 primary ratio is shorter but the trans ratios are taller.  I was running 13/51 on that motor and I think it was just about ideal for MX.

I was using the same billy goat gearing, but then saw that my 12T front was starting to rub and wear on the engine case.  Do you see that happening?  Consequently I went back to a 13T.

You might be able to mitigate this with a narrower chain.  I assume you're running a standard o-ring unit.  DID makes a narrow x-ring chain that would probably clear the casing.  I think it was the VT2.  They usually come with a rivet type master link but you can get a clip type.

• Like 1

Saw that you were in TX:

2004 KDX200

Man, I wish I hadn't had checked out that link, lol. That bike looks cherry. I don't mind traveling a bit for one, but dang near to Mexico is just a little too far for me (I'm less than a mile from Arkansas).

Thanks, every one, for the advice. I believe I will try to hold out for a KDX if one in decent shape shows up. It just amazes me that the Japanese have let this segment of the industry slip away so. I could find a KTM fairly easily. But, I really wasn't wanting to go that route. I'd absolutely love to have a new Beta crosstrainer, bt I just cant get myself to spend new bike money on something I know I'm gonna be wrecking. I like for someone else to endure the new-bike-scratch&dent pain, lol. In reality, I'm not in a huge enough hurry that I cant wait around till I find just the right bike. And, Im thinking a KDX will be how I go

Have 99 with 12T using non o ring chain without rub issues. Renthal by Regina R1 chain last just as long.

You might be able to mitigate this with a narrower chain.  I assume you're running a standard o-ring unit.  DID makes a narrow x-ring chain that would probably clear the casing.  I think it was the VT2.  They usually come with a rivet type master link but you can get a clip type.

Thanks guys.  Great info.  Yes, I had been using a standard O-ring chain.

Thanks, every one, for the advice. I believe I will try to hold out for a KDX if one in decent shape shows up. It just amazes me that the Japanese have let this segment of the industry slip away so. I could find a KTM fairly easily. But, I really wasn't wanting to go that route. I'd absolutely love to have a new Beta crosstrainer, bt I just cant get myself to spend new bike money on something I know I'm gonna be wrecking. I like for someone else to endure the new-bike-scratch&dent pain, lol. In reality, I'm not in a huge enough hurry that I cant wait around till I find just the right bike. And, Im thinking a KDX will be how I go

You can't lose with the KDX either.  Great trail bike! ?

I want a X-Trainer too, but that's a lot of $$ for a play bike for me too...I also just bought a '14 WR450 and I don't know how to get another new bike past the boss. ?

• Like 1