Sign in to follow this  

Replacement headlight

I have a plated '07 XR650R running a Tusk kit for the rear tail/brake light and LED blinkers. It is wired as a total-loss system with one of the rechargeable batttery packs. My headlight is still all factory, and none of the factory wires or connections have been spliced. As I'm sure many of you know, the stock headlight is next to worthless on the road at night. What I am looking for is to either replace the bulb, or replace the entire headlight/shroud assembly. I'm also not opposed to cutting into the wires to hook up the hi/low beams. Right now, I have the hi/lo/blinker/horn switch on the bars, but only the horn and blinker switches are being used.

Any recommended replacement bulbs or LED bulb? How about any complete assemblies (like some of the generic sumo-style units) that folks have had good results with?

Find a stock lens for an '85 or so XR.  This is the glass lens, which is far superior in every way to the stock plastic lens in the 650R.  You can do all kinds of upgrades, but if you use the lens your 650R came with you are wasting your time.

At this point, then you can put in a big halogen bulb, LED conversion bulb (Cyclops stuff is GREAT), HID conversion, etc...

There are lots of aftermarket lights out there as well, but in my opinion I don't think you get any better optics out of a Polisport, Acerbis, etc... light assembly as you can the glass lens XR setup.