2-stroke Yamaha trail bike

I had an '84 IT175 back in the day that was leaps and bounds better on the trail than my friends CRs and RMs. But, aside from the new YZ250X, are there any other more modern 2-stroke enduro offerings from Yamaha? I'm looking to pick up a bike in the near future for tight and technical trails. I ride more casually, as appose to wide-open. My son has a CR250R that the previous owner raced enduro on. However, it is not at all suited to my riding style. I'll be looking for something probably no older than a '95 or newer than a '10 or '11 (because of price), and I'm not interested in extensive engine modification to get to were I want to be. I'd like to stay away from having to go with a Euro bike, if I can. But, I don't know if much else is available to suit me? Any Yamaha suggestions?

My friend who races a 2005 CR250R could not believe how much off idle response my 11 YZ had . A stock YZ with only a timing and Flywheel weight will do wonders on taming the Beast  and now the X powervalve spring mod . and a list of other small mods can be done . The only option other Yamaha IMO is the IT200 only made  2 years thou , would be a tough find . Good Luck .

A torquey 200-250cc (air or liquid cooled) 2-stroke in a modern trail friendly chassis is the wish of many here....

I think mid-to-late-'90s were the last years of the two-stroke enduro, trail and off-road bikes from Yamaha.

Not Yamaha but more recently there are the KTM 250R Freeride and the BETA X-Trainer 300

that would both make really nice (albeit more expensive and complex) 2-stroke trail bikes.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

94 - 97 WR250Z? They can be kinda tough to find in good condition.

if you have the money for a 2011 model, you could always get a nice '02 to '04 yz250 and use the extra cash to make it more trail friendly. The amount of offroad modifications for the yz250 are nearly endless. Many people feel that the steel frame models are actually better suited for offroad as opposed to the newer aluminum frame bikes.

• Like 2

94 - 97 WR250Z? They can be kinda tough to find in good condition.

if you have the money for a 2011 model, you could always get a nice '02 to '04 yz250 and use the extra cash to make it more trail friendly. The amount of offroad modifications for the yz250 are nearly endless. Many people feel that the steel frame models are actually better suited for offroad as opposed to the newer aluminum frame bikes.

I forgot about those  years on the WR , very good option . And I did love my 2003 .

Do a search for "WR 200". They sold them here in the states in 91- 92 I believe. You can still find them used if you keep your eyes open. They sold them for much longer in Europe and Australia. It is a more modern version of the IT 175/200 from the 80s. If they sold something like that now they wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand.

• Like 1

I own a 97 wr250 and have been on a few kdx200s. They are world's apart in feel and how they ride. The 94-97 wr250 is essentially a 1994 yz250 with a few factory enduro mods. It is NOT a tame trail bike like the newer 4 stroke wr250. The engine is very strong with a big mid range hit. It does make a very good woods bike for a guy like me who doesn't race for points, just for the fun of it. Head to head the wr250 would leave the kdx in the dust, but the kdx is a proven platform for riders of all skill levels. One last thing to consider between the two is parts availability. The 94-97 wr250 parts are drying up. They have made a kdx since about the civil war so parts are plentiful and will continue to be.

1451349557079.jpg

• Like 1

X 2 on what Bricktop said. I have a 97 WR250 (last year for the US 2 stroke WR) and a 2000 KDX 200 for my daughter. We ride mostly tight, technical mtn. trails. While the lower gearing is similar, the KDX engine is much more tame and flat (similar to an IT) and has a more plush suspension. The KDX has the advantage in the extreme tight stuff where the WR is more universal with a much bigger WOW factor in the open areas. The KDX does have more aftermarket and performance mods support. Stay away from the KDX 220--unless the factory piston has been replaced as these were prone to cracking IIRC. Both are extremely reliable, bulletproof type bikes. There is also the Suziki RMX and KTM EXC to consider--both 2 strokes also. I'd recommend the 94-97 WR250 or KDX200/220.

• Like 1