Sign in to follow this  

First Enduro/Supermoto - Am I being stupid?

Hi all, this is my first post - I thought I'd create an account because I need some opinions from more experienced riders. Let me give a bit of background information:

• Been riding for just over a year on the streets - Done 10K Miles/16.1K Kilometers in that time
  • I ride an SV650 - It is my first bike ever
  • Looking to get an Enduro bike with a supermoto conversion
  • Very little experience off road
  • Would be riding mostly a mix of trails/on road - about 60/40
  • I weigh approximately 11 Stone/69kg/152 Pounds
  • I'm 6ft 1"/ 186cm

So my heart is telling me, get a KTM 450 exc, my head is saying get a 250 of some sort (But only because people keep telling me to); I'm only looking at 4T bikes, I prefer the sound over a smoker.

For whatever bike I might buy, I will be buying a set of supermoto rims/tyres to go with it so I can ride it on road too. The main concern I have is that I won't be satisfied with the power of a 250 on road after riding the SV650. I don't deny the capabilities that it might have off road; but I feel like I would be more happy with the power of a 450. I plan on keeping the bike for quite some time so I don't want to get a 250 and then look to upgrade in a year.

Some people have told me to go for a KTM 690e; but I'd prefer something that's lighter than that and easier to work on. I don't mind the maintenance that would come with the typical enduro motorbikes.

You guys know better than I do; what do you think I should do? Am I being stupid to want to jump to a 450? I've heard the 450's tend to be a bit more reliable than 250's too which is a plus. Any suggestions?

P.S - Before you raise your concerns: I've never had trouble with clutch control, whisky throttle or managing my power. I'm not some power freak, but I like to have it readily available for when I need it.

Edited by AlexRider

I just sold my 09 450 and did the exact thing you want to do. I had a set of supermoto tires and rims for fun on the road and a set of knobbys with original rims for off road riding. After a few change overs you will have it down to about 20 min to change the tires over. The hard part is finding the best gearing for both situations. I ended up going with a 14T up front and then played with the rear gearing on both rear tires to find what I wanted. I found that the 450 was fun on the road but a little big in tight nasty single track riding. What I plan on doing now is picking up a 2017 KTM 350 and you might think about doing the same. Its a little lighter more nimble for the woods and will have plenty of power for road riding. 

Hi both, thanks for the opinions. I was actually looking at the 350 after I posted this thread. Seems like a good compromise of power for both on and off-road. Although I can't say what type of riding I'd be doing for definite; I feel myself leaning towards more open trails than technical. Are the 350's just as reliable as the 450's; and which brand would you recommend?