Sign in to follow this  

CRF450 starting problems

My uncle and i are trying to start his fuel injected CRF450 which hasnt been started in 18 months and i put new fuel, fixed the spark plug gap and sanded the electrode on the plug and it still wont start. The bike has 10 hours on it and it was going perfectly last time it was started 18 months ago. Can anyone help me?

I'm not sure about fi bikes, but my carbed bike('07 CRF450) has an iridium plug in it, and if sand it, you ruin it. I just spray mine with carb cleaner.

In 2012 a fellow racer ran his new bike out of gas. He poured new gas in and began to kick it. Nothing happened. Finally he changed the plug and it fired up. It was strange but after checking a lot of things over it worked. Try that first. It's possible that the fuel filter is plugged too. You can buy a filter kit and you'll have to pull the pump out and disassemble it. There are YouTube videos on this. Try the plug first.

In 2012 a fellow racer ran his new bike out of gas. He poured new gas in and began to kick it. Nothing happened. Finally he changed the plug and it fired up. It was strange but after checking a lot of things over it worked. Try that first. It's possible that the fuel filter is plugged too. You can buy a filter kit and you'll have to pull the pump out and disassemble it. There are YouTube videos on this. Try the plug first.

+1 on this....depending on how crappy the gas was you might have to take the throttle body off and clean it out.  Ethanol fuels are known to gum up bad if sitting untreated for a long time.

Cheers guys i found out thats it actually a 2010 and the actual part that plugs the spark plug into the ignition coil is faulty

That's good news. I hope you didn't spend too much time or money finding out.