Sign in to follow this  

RSW Triple Clamp and Bar mount- XR250R

I purchased the RSW Racing triple clamp and 3" bar mount Package. Initially, I was happy. Easy to Install and it got me the bar height I needed and forward mounting position for an economical price. 

rswtriple.jpg

However, my first trail get off resulted in a badly bent... bar mount. The lower bolt bent and the bar mount itself deformed at the bottom and indented the triple clamp.

rsw3-fail.jpg

rsw2.jpg

There is no easy way to shock mount there bar mounts that I can see. The locator holes in the triple clamp are so close together drilling a whole bigger to install bushings will result in hole overlap and weaken the clamp, I'm afraid. For the average trail rider this design may be fine, but I am racing this bike and I will be replacing it with the more expensive BRP setup unless someone has a bright idea that can help me out. Otherwise does anyone want an RSW triple clamp setup?   :banghead:  

While you probably can't fix what has already been damaged, I would personally shim the mount with 1/8" stainless top and bottom to distribute the load over a broader area on the top clamp. I would Grind what appears to be a raised bump where the aluminum pressed into the open hole to get it flat again.

Good concept, poor design with longevity in mind.

Seeing this on their triple clamp got me wondering if anyone has any experience with their fork brace.  They appear to be the only fork brace available for the 250.  Worth the money or not?

s-l1600.jpg

If you look around you can find mixed reviews, some complaining alignment or fitment issues. I never bought one. I tried to get one from Superbrace but they said they were not in stock and never got back with me when I asked for a racer's discount :-) - RSW might be the only game in town.

I think the post 96' 250 suffers less from steering issues than the 400 though. The forks are so short. Let us know what you find if you buy one.

• Like 1